16. Shocked

"Did he get suspicious!?" Asked a worried Tehreem.

"Relax Tehreem! He might be curious looking at his dress. But, he will surely feel suspicious if you behave like this."

"I can't help it kafeel... I don't know why but I'm feeling so...." That's when she saw Ateeb standing there on stairs.

Her eyes brimmed with happy tears.

"Masha Allah." The words were not above whisper, Kafeel turned towards where Tehreem' s eyes were glued. He took in the sight of his son, who was the special one tonight. Ateeb felt awkward at his parents admiring gaze on him.

"Mom, dad!" He exlaimed trying to gain their attention. Tehreem walked towards him.

"Uh.. huh.. Masha Allah, my baby boy is all grown up!" She said kissing his forehead. Ateeb blushed at her comment.

"Mom!! This dialogue is usually used for daughters!" He laughed. They both laughed at his statement.

"Where are we going?" He asked pointing his finger towards the floral tray. Tehreem had sent everything before Ateeb could know about it. But it was them who had the engagement ring and it was their responsibility. Tehreem panicked at his question but maintained a calm posture with great difficulty.

"Nothing, much son! Just a token of well wishes!"replied Kafeel.

"But dad, don't you think I'd kinda look odd wearing this among everyone. I could wear a simple Kurta like you if the dress code is traditional." He said pointing towards his dress, it was an black indo-western velvet sherwani which had gold zardozi works on the collar, edge of both the sleeves and at the rim of his pocket. Accompanied by bronze patiala bottom.

"Like I said, before. You're not supposed to decide.!" Kafeel said trying to make a haughty face.

"Okay, okay, okay." He said shaking his head.

"Where's Falak?" He asked looking around.

"She left just now!" Replied kafeel looking at his wrist watch, before Ateeb could ask further questions kafeel ushered them out. Ateeb wanted to drive his car but kafeel insisted him to join them. 

When Ateeb saw the route familiar, he all but felt so empty. That's when he decided to ask his parents about the occasion once and for all.

"Dad! Why are we going to Sufiyan uncle's home, dressed like this, what is the occasion?" Ateeb asked with a blank face. Kafeel smiled at him and replied like it was the best-good news ever.

"It's Mehek's engagement today!" Ateeb felt like a jumping off the cliff without a parachute. He couldn't imagine Mehek being engaged to someone else.   

"It was supposed to be five or three days later dad." He said with a strained voice.

"Yes. It was, but the groom's sister was not happy so they decided to prepone It." He said trying to stifle his laughter.

Ateeb wanted to curse, but he kept mum.

"Is my presence mandatory?" He asked frowning.

"What kind of question is that Ateeb? How would Sufiyan bhai and Sabura feel if they heard your question?" Tehreem asked with a bewildered expression.

"I did not mean it that way mom! It's just that I have my flight tonight." He said with a gloomy expression.

"Come on Ateeb, your flight is after midnight so relax!" He decided to stay quiet. Both Kafeel and Tehreem were having a hard time holding their smiles back.

Hey there my sweeties!!

Sorry for a small chapter I'll definitely make it upto you people with a long chapter next time.

I think I'm dragging too much.

But I promise the next chapter will not be alternate it will be a part of Ateeb and Mehek's engagement.

So till then,

Bless this chapter with your love through your comments and votes,

Take care
With love,
            Kiara💞