38. Betrayed

*past*

Wajahat stood there frozen at the scene his eyes had witnessed.

"WAJAHAT!" Fariqa shook him, she slapped him hard when he showed no response.

"Sana!! Sana is...." she couldn't complete her sentence,  Wajahat ran towards Sana where she lay half on the stone divider with a pool of blood behind her head. People surrounding them, a few trying to call for an ambulance.

"No No no no...." he chanted to himself and kneeled near her head, he checked her pulse on her neck, it was way too faint to built high hopes.

He lifted her in his arms and ran towards his car. A few people helped him cross the lane. Fariqa sat on the back seat with Sana's head on her lap. She couldn't stop her tears, she stroked her forehead and was busy praying for her. Wajahat started his car and without glancing behind he stepped hard on the gas. He broke two signals which resulted in a police car behind them, but Wajahat was far beyond thinking.

The moment Wajahat stepped out of the vehicle, police officers were ready right behind him to question his moves but when they saw him with blood stains on his suit and hands. They realised the reason. They decided to stay for a while. Since it was an accident case, a few questions had to be answered by them.

Wajahat carried Sana inside and shouted for a stature. Dr. Aditi Dutta, an emergency specialist, sensing that it was an accident case she rushed towards them.

Wajahat gently laid Sana on the Stature and rushed towards the I. C. U. since it was a severe accident they had to skip the Emergency Ward for all the test. She had to be examined within the I. C. U. Wajahat noticed the white cloth of the Stature behind her head, had turned to red within a matter of few minutes.

They had to wait outside the I. C. U. Fariqa glanced at Wajahat, she wanted to tell him that they should inform others about it, but one look at his face and she forgot to breathe.

Wajahat had rested his forehead on the wall right next to the I.C.U. with closed eyes, fisted palms and clenched jaws, he looked like he was shot by a bullet. But the actual pain was much more than a bullet piercing him. With heavy heart, Fariqa steeped towards him and stroked the back of his head. He opened his eyes, it looked like it had been raided of the lively spark.

"Wajahat......." 

"She's gonna be okay! She should be okay! She can't betray me like this.!" He laughed.

"Mom, she promised me, and as afar as I reckon, promises are not meant to be broken." He smiled at her. It was clear that was he was gonna turn hysterical any minute now.

"She should be fine. Or I'm just gonna....." Fariqa's strong hug broke all his blabbering. He closed his eyes, few drops of tears escaped his eyes and vanished into his shirt collar. He broke the hug and sat on the visitors steel seat nearby. He rested his head on his palm.

Fariqa searched for her handbag but recalled that she had left it in the car, she strode towards the reception to inform her husband about the catastrophic events they were at.

*******
(Engagement day)

"I think it's time to leave. It's 12:45 already. " Wajahat was busy searching for Sana, his mother's words felt like tasting a bitter gourd between desserts.

"What? Mom you promised me!" He whined near her ears, which was clearly heard by Ashraf too.