Prologue

"Wait- lean up against the wall, that'd be cute." My bestfriend Emily said as she snapped another picture of me. She was always so enthusiastic when it came to social media, me not so much.

"Like this?" I propped myself against the marble wall with my elbow before placing my other hand on my hip

"Gorgeous! Give it to me Ky!" She squealed before snapping a few more pictures "Come look."

"These are really good

"These are really good. You sure my thighs don't look too big though?"

"Oh please Kyrie, you're the best looking girl at this party. All these other white bitches wished they had what you had."

I laughed. "Girl you're white, get out of here. Crazy ass."

We both shared a laugh before heading back inside. Tonight was my parents annual ugly Christmas sweater party they threw on Christmas Eve. I hated attending every year because it was just a bunch of rich white people and snotty girls bragging about their money and kissing my parents asses.

My father is Craig Laurent, owner of Laurent Inc. one of the biggest fashion companies in the country. My mother, Christina owns her own chain of upscale restaurants along the east and west coasts. I grew up pretty privileged for the most part and didn't have any other friend but Emily since my parents and her parents had been business partners for years, also my parents didn't like to talk to people that were 'below' me as they put it.

Both Emily and my parents thought this way- the only difference between us was Emily actually agreed with her parents on everything. She had never lifted a finger in her life, she always expected everything to be brought to her, as it was.

We walked around aimlessly for a few minutes before they announced that dinner was being served

I groaned mentally as we entered the main dining hall because of not one but both of the Clermont twins sitting there obviously waiting to cause some sort of trouble. They're basically your average stereotypical rich girls who live off their daddies trust fund. We use to be friends until they started changing. They even bleached their skin to be about 10 shades lighter than it was before.

"Oh hi Kyrie, I didn't even see you there." One of the twins Shannon said. Damn, I couldn't even sit down before they started?

"Mhm. You two are enjoying the party as I can see." I said dryly, I didn't have time for their shenanigans tonight

"Of course. All though it's a bit tacky the whole sweater idea. I wouldn't be caught dead in what you're wearing." Shannon commented

"I think I saw it at Belk once one my way to the Channel store, or maybe it was Ross." The other one added before they both broke into laughter. I cringed, They sounded like dying cats.

"Actually my father got one of his best designers to custom make this for me but since were assessing outfits here I could've sworn I saw both those ugly ass dresses in the clearance section at Target when I went grocery shopping last week." Both their faves went stale. Bitches.

"Listen I don't have time to deal with either of you two tonight so just take you plastic asses and run along. Dinners starting soon anyway." I smirked before walking away with Emily following close behind

"Oh my gosh, Kyrie that was amazing."

"What did I do?"

"The way you just told them off like that, you have so much confidence." Emily gushed. I only spared her a glance before taking my seat at the head dinner table next to Lucas, my boyfriend... who also just happened to be Emily's older brother...

Personally I never really like white guys that much but both our parents insisted we'd be the cutest couple- even Emily was on board with it

"Hey baby," he greeted pecking my lips before letting his eyes scan my outfit "Don't you think that's a little revealing?" He furrowed his brows

I laughed. He always got like this when I wore something other than a turtle neck. "Lucas the sweater reaches my mid-thigh and my boots cover up the rest. There's nothing to look at."

"Oh trust me, there's plenty to look at."

I looked down seeing a tent forming in his dress pants. "Calm down now white boy, remember we're in public." I giggled

"Baby let's just go to the bathroom real quick- I won't be more than five minutes." He pleaded

Oh, I know.

"Maybe you would've gotten some if you decided to come home earlier."

He kissed his teeth. "Don't hold that against me, you know I'm trying to make a life for us as our future family." He grinned. I stiffened. Lately, everyone's been pressuring me about getting married and settling down with Lucas, even him! I didn't feel ready yet. He's a great guy and all but I just wanted to enjoy being young first.

I laughed nervously dismissing the subject. I hated talking about the future he saw for us together because honestly, I didn't see it at all. The rest of the night was filled with boring speeches from business owners and both Emily and me cracking jokes with each other.