Chapter 5

The Proposal

Ever since my conversation with Dr. Bateman, I can't get him off my head. He knows who Gale is. He knows who what he did to me.

And trust him?

Is he worthy of my trust?

I've been thinking about it over and over. He knows me and Gale, so maybe the also know Lau. Or they are a team trying to destroy me?

"Oh, you're up?" Dr. Thompson came in with a smile on his face. "How is your leg?" He asked, touching a part of it. "Is there any improvement after the pill that I gave you last week?"

"It reduces the pain in my leg and my back though." I answered, crossing my arms.

"Great, that is means it is effective to you." Dr. Thompson examines my arms, checking my wounds that are not yet healed. "Dr. Bateman was right about that drug."

I just let him finish his chit chat while looking at him.

"You know, I didn't know that you and Dr. Bateman used to be ex lovers?"

Huh? My head turns to him in a swift. He said what?!

"Who would thought that, that man still has time for his own happiness? Even before? I bet everything in his mind is work." He continued blabbering then noticed me glancing at him with an unreadable expression. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

I rolled my eyes and turn my head away from his direction. I don't have the mood to argue with him. I will just talk to Dr. Bateman directly...if I got the chance to see him again because he doesn't visits me in the first place, anyway.

"Oh, and I have something for you, Ms. Campbell." Dr. Thompson reached out something in his coat then handed it to me. "Here, my son gave it to me this morning but I don't like sweets."

"You have a son?" I asked, suddenly curious.

"Yep. But I'm single and ready to mingle." He gave me s thumbs up.

I looked down at what he handed at me in my hand. "A candy?" I raised an eyebrow at him. "Seriously?"

"Come on, turn it over." He signalled me using his finger.

I turn the candy and there is something written on it so I read it. "Smile?"

"Yep." Dr. Thompson give me a wide grin, his teeth showing up and he pushed the side of his mouth wider using his fingers. Trying to look funny. "Smile!"

A soft chuckle escaped from me. "You look ridiculous."

"I don't care. As long as that smile trying to escape from you will come out." He returns to his usual jolly mood then pats the top of my head before burying them back inside his coat pockets. "Smile and laugh more, Shanaya. It helps a lot in cheering oneself. Like what they say, smile is the best medicine." With that last statement, he winked at me then turns to leave.

"You mean laughter is the best medicine." I corrected.

"Oh." He scratched his head then just laughed it off then closes the door as he leaves.

Dr. Thompson is not bad. I mean, he always tries to cheer me up would check on me. Even though I pushed him a lot, he doesn't listen and stays despite my annoying and lonely attitude most of the time.