bucky barnes | the right thing

[ hey y'all, here's another infinity war AU. since i got a lot of love on my steve one, i thought i'd do a bucky one! enjoy xx ]

You huffed, as two of Thanos' alien men threw you to the ground with Bucky right beside you.

The avengers along with some allies were knee-deep in war with Thanos now. He had already gotten two more stones to add to his collection; giving him only four of the six stones he needed to conquer his annexation of the world.

You and Bucky vowed to stand alongside each other through the duration of the whole war, not wanting, nor willing to let the other go.

The two of you had already suffered a loss nothing could mend— the death of your beloved friend and brother, Steve Rogers. He had died three weeks ago while shielding you from an oncoming attack— and you would never forget that brave and heroic act he had endured purely for your own safety.

You and Bucky sat at his side in his last final moments, unable to hold back the heavy rack of sobs your body emit. You, losing the only person you had left of your family and Bucky, losing his only friend.

This war would change you— but you were already fully aware of that fact; whether it was the death of a beloved friend or even your own death.

Steve's last final words spoken were for you and Bucky to never stop fighting, to stay together and to give the deaths of every single one of your allies justice— so that they died for a reason.

"I'm with you guys to the end of the line." was his last official splurge of words which you would never forget.

Thanos' men ripped the bag off of yours' and Bucky's heads as you looked to your right to see Bucky and an overwhelming sense of fear swiped at your heart.

Bucky gave you a reassuring look as you swallowed and put your attention to your enemy stood in front of you both.

"Well what do we have here?" Thanos booming voice struck as you glared at him. You couldn't move to fight him because your hands were tied behind your back and you had two armed men behind you, taking guard.

"Bucky Barnes, the Winter Soldier and (y/f/n), the Atomic Strike.." Thanos spoke again.

"What do you want?" You spit, infuriated.

Thanos chuckled, "We're a bit snappy today, aren't we?" You stayed silent, knowing his question was rhetorical. "Well, if we must get to the point, you and Barnes have the two infinity stones I'm looking for."

"What would make you think we have them?" Bucky asked, his face stained with a picture of anger.

"I don't think Barnes, I know," He replied. "Now hand them over and I might think about not killing the two of you."

Bucky chuckled humourlessly, "I, nor my partner have the last two infinity stones. And, even if we did— you would never get them no matter what you did to us."

You looked at Thanos as he decided for a moment before he strode over to you and grabbing a large strand of your hair, tugging your head back with a lot of force, making you grunt.

Bucky flinched forward. "Bucky, stop!" You cried out to the super soldier. You couldn't let him risk his life, not when he hadn't attempted to kill you yet.

"Yes, Barnes— I think you should listen to Agent (y/l/n)."

He clenched his jaw as a wave of anger rushed over him as the two men behind him, held him back.

"Now, you give me the stones or tell me where they are and you can both go and this will all be over. Or, you don't and Agent (y/n) here, dies. It's your choice, Agent Barnes."

A wave of panic clouded Bucky's eyes as you stared into his. Thanos brought a sword up to your throat as you swallowed.

"Don't, Bucky. Don't t-tell him anything. I-it's okay." You pleaded as you sent him a nod of reassurance.

"N-no, I-I can't. (y/n), please," Bucky pleaded as tears began to cloud his vision. "Kill me! Please just let her go, don't hurt her!"

"That's not what my deal was, Agent Barnes." Thanos repeated— you could practically hear the smirk in his voice.

Bucky stared into your eyes as a tear fell down your cheek and you whispered, "If you tell him, he will take over the world and chaos and destruction will erupt. Think about what Steve said; we need to give justice to our allies who have died. This— this will just take it all away and they will have died for nothing." You explained.

Bucky stayed silent as tears fell down his cheeks and a sense of emptiness and helplessness began to spread through him like a wildfire.

First, he lost Steve— his only friend. And now you— the love of his life.

"I know you and that you will do the right thing because that's the man you are. Buck, please don't let me think the opposite." You spoke again and he slowly nodded.

His life was beginning to crumble to the ground around him and before he knew it, he was falling. Any last bit of hope he had began to wither away and dissolve, leaving him all alone.

Thanos knew Bucky wouldn't say anything as he lifted the sword away from your neck and aimed it toward the middle of your back.

You took a deep breath as your eyes never left Bucky's and not even a moment later, the sword in Thanos' hands penetrated right though your back and you gulped as he pulled it back out.

You fell to the floor and Bucky flew to your side, Thanos' men let him but lifted their weapons. Bucky broke the rope that bonded his hands together with his adrenaline pumping.

He lifted you up onto his lap as he stroked your hair and cheek. "I l-love you Bucky Barnes, my hero." You smiled softly.

He shook his head as he sobbed, "B-but I couldn't save you."

"Doesn't matter. Your saving everyone else," You whispered, lifting a weak hand to stroke his cheek. "You are so strong, I know you will defeat Thanos. I believe it."

"I l-love you." He whispered as his body shook in fear and sadness.

"I love you, Bucky Barnes." You whispered as you inhaled your last breath and exhaled. Your body soon going limp in his arms.

"I love you more." He whispered, his thumb stroking your cheek as he kissed your forehead one last time.

*
*
*

hiya! this is so late oh my gosh i'm sorry!! i was meaning to post awhile ago but never got around to it://

anyways, i know this is late but i hope you guys all had a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year! x

hope you enjoyed! even though now that i'm re-reading this and editing it, the plot kinda seems stupid but oh well sorry hahaha.

don't forget to vote/comment/follow!

ly all xx