steve rogers | the chase

1:57 am.

you sat atop a building overlooking a few men on the ground below you. they were all cladded in expensive black attire as they talked with a tone of purpose. they were currently in a business deal. you counted out five men to be exact.

1 man sat in the drivers seat of a van parked right beside them, another stood watching the streets for any people, and the other three partook in the exchange.

one of the men opened the door to the van and picked up a briefcase. your eyes lit up in glee as the man opened the case to reveal many wads of cash.

you scanned your surroundings, five men wouldn't be too difficult to take down, you thought.

the man shut the briefcase, and with that you jumped swiftly off the building you were on, and landing in a flip to your feet. you lifted your head abruptly to swing your hair out of your face as you stood.

you whistled, making the men look up in shock. "hello boys." you grinned.

"who's there?" one of the men boldly yelled.

"the boogeyman," you mused, slipping in and out of the shadows.

the men lifted their guns in front of them and studied their surroundings, "come out now!"

"oh— if you say so," you smirked. you suddenly ran out from behind them, grabbing the baton from your belt and smacking it as hard as you could to the back of two of the men's knees. they suddenly fell to the ground yelling in pain, as you punched them both in the face, instantly granting them unconscious.

another man came charging up behind you, you swiftly lifted up your leg and kicked him in the neck, he fell to the ground harshly from the impact.

"hey little lady. what do you think you're doing exactly?" another men spoke from behind you with a hint of amusement in his tone.

you smiled to yourself, "oh, you know, just ridding the world of scum— the usual."

quickly, you pulled out the gun from your holster on your leg and immediately shot the man behind you right between the eyes. you then sauntered over to the passenger side of the van.

"hiya sweetheart!" you grinned at the man.

the driver looked at you with pleading eyes as he held his hands up in fear, "please, please no!" he yelled.

"sorry, i don't pick favourites," you answered before aiming your gun at his head and pulling the trigger.

you immediately turned around to see the briefcase lying on the ground. you picked it up and ran into the nearest alley. but before you could make any attempt at an escape, a gruff voice sounded from behind you.

"stop right there!" he yelled.

you turned around with a smirk smitten across your face, "my, my, my if it isn't the captain america. i thought you'd never come! it's very good to see you, cap."

"i wish i could say the same for you," he replied. his cold eyes frozen on you.

you laughed, "what? you don't miss your old friend? hmm, i have to admit, that hurts."

"we're not friends. you're a criminal," he retorted.

"then why haven't you caught me yet? hmm?" you paused, striding towards him. "i mean, there were lots of places where you could have caught me; the bridge, the sewer, the barber shop... yet, you let me go every single time. now why is that?"

"maybe i just have other things to worry about," he answered sternly.

"bull," you replied. "i think you like the chase."

you circled around him as he clenched his jaw. you smirked to yourself as you stopped in front of him.

"am i right?"

he stayed silent, not answering your question. he just stared into your eyes with no expression on his face.

"well, if you'd excuse me, i have to go—"

before you could take a step away, he grabbed your bicep and pulled you toward him, "you're not going anywhere."

you stared into his eyes, "or what? you'll arrest me?" you laughed.

his eyes shifted between yours, he was conflicted. he didn't know what to do. you made him dizzy; you made his judgement cloudy. you were dangerous, and that somehow made him interested in you.

see, you and cap have quite the weird relationship, if you'd call it that. you were once a part of hydra before you finally managed to escape.

after years of torment and abuse, you finally managed to rid yourself from their alarming grip. but, hydra also helped you realize your love for revenge.

sure, you were a criminal, but you didn't steal from or kill just regular people. your only targets were hydra agents.

yeah, you were bad, but not bad enough to harm an innocent person. those men you had just attacked a few minutes earlier were all hydra agents.

steve couldn't decide whether you were doing good or bad; and that angered him. you might have done some things he wished he could but, that still didn't take away from the fact that you killed people.

"oh cap," you paused. "i've got you all figured out."

"you don't know anything." he replied.

"well, i do know that i conflict you. i turn your brain to mush; i do bad things, but at the same time, to your enemies. you don't know whether to be on my side or against."

"well at least i'm the one who doesn't have to hide. you come out every night to take these scumbags down, only to be awarded a vigilante that's plastered all over 'most wanted' posters. you don't do good, you kill people. you think that you can just get away with these escapades of yours, but you can't. sooner or later, you're going to be caught."

you just stared back at him before yanking your wrist from his grip. "this was a nice chat, really. but i have to go."

you backed away from him, before shooting your grappling hook at a tall building across the street.

with that, you left him alone in the alley, to collect his own thoughts.

*
*
*

part two soon maybe?¿ i just started summer break so expect more frequent updates !

hope you guys enjoyed!