steve rogers | a hero's end (endgame spoilers !!)

[ wow uhm hi guys. it's been so long since i've been on this app,, i've missed writing these imagines so much. i'm glad to be back, although i can't really promise as frequent of updates unfortunately as i am nearing the end of high school..  but, i just saw endgame and i bawled and it gave me inspo to write so here i am. endgame spoilers ahead !! i hope you enjoy ! and sorry if i'm a little rusty lol ]

"Get him the hell back Bruce," Sam demanded as Bruce fumbled around on his computer.

Steve was supposed to be back exactly now from taking the infinity stones back and he wasn't. You were beginning to grow anxious and scared if something had happened.

That is until Bucky spoke, "He's by the river." You turned around instantly, and sure enough, there he was.

You were confused, but you continued walking toward him nonetheless.

"Mr. Rogers?" You asked.

He turned to face you, "Hi kid." He simply said with a small smile on his face.

He had aged. He actually looked his age now. "What- what happened?" You asked him.

"I lived. I went back in time and lived my life with Peggy." He simply answered.

You smiled, you knew that that was all he ever wanted. "I'm happy for you sir," You paused, thinking. "But, now the world never gets to see Captain America."

"Not yet," He replied.

"What are you saying?" You asked him.

"How do you feel on becoming America's hero?"

You shook your head, "I could never. Captain America was you, no matter if other people don't know it. I could never take your place, I'm not worthy enough to be Captain America."

"You've earned it, (y/n)."

You sat down beside him on the bench. "That's a lot of responsibility.. How do you know I can handle it?"

"Through the last year that I mentored you, I realized just how brave you are. Your passionate drive will take you far. You understand right from wrong, and the sacrifices you will have to make to keep those around you safe. You're going to be even better than I was. I know you can do this. You're the one for the job, kid." He smiled.

You smiled back, tears forming in your eyes. "I'm gonna miss you, Cap. Thank you, for everything."

"I'm gonna miss you too," He answered, pulling you in for a hug.

You pulled away before he said, "Oh, that reminds me."

You looked at him curiously as he bent over to unzip something from a bag he had perched against the bench. He pulled the zipper back to reveal his shield.

"Try it out, would you? It's been decades since it's been taken for a spin."

You smiled and picked it up, attaching it to your left forearm. Steve looked up at you with an even bigger smile, "How does it feel?"

"Like it's someone else's." You replied.

"Well I think it looks like it was made for you."

Sooo,, if anyone wants to talk about endgame don't be afraid to message me !! I'm so emotional about Cap's ending. :'((

hope this wasn't too terrible! lool

until next time!