Chapter 14: My Conscious is Heavy [editing complete]

Bradley was very distraught and didn't even want to look at me. I wasn't even sure how to approach him and if so, what to say to him. I sat patiently on the bed beside him, feeling the mattress move every time he let out a deep breath and with his every move. The moment I put my arm in his back and rubbed it—attempted to because the gesture didn't get very far—he looked dead straight at me.

   "Tammy, I'm not trying to be rude, but can you give me a minute?" He said sternly, like a mother reprimanding her child.

   I just got up and obeyed. What else could I do? Argue with him? I didn't even want to lose him, much less have him bury me in the ground for doing something to bother him. So I went down the steps of his house, ready to exit the house and come back in another moment. But then, I thought that I didn't have a car nor could I drive in England. So maybe I'd sit outside and wait.

Bradley's mother entered the house just as exited his room. "Hello." I greeted, waving.

She was like Brad. Her hair was slightly curled and her face was round like her son's. Her eyes were brown like tree bark and they looked soft as she looked at me with a smile. She wore just a modest amount of makeup, which was just a mauve lipstick, mascara, and some blush. She wasn't short, but she wasn't tall either. Then again, she was wearing a pair of Oxfords with some heel and a dress that was a light brown, close to khaki color.

    "Um, hi. Who are you?" She asked, smiling a warm smile.

   "I'm Tammy Scaletta," I took a deep breath, "Bradley's girlfriend."

   "Oh." She chuckled. "I'm Bradley and Natalie's mum."

   "Nice to meet you." I led out a hand and instead, she hugged me. Brad's mum's arms around me felt familiar.

   "And why are you here?"

   "Bradley told me to stay a night with him."

   "Oh. Alright." She smiled as I nodded. Then, she gestured for me to enter the living room with her.

   I stayed there talking with Mrs. Simpson and watching the news while waiting to attempt again. Jesse was beside me and Mrs. Simpson was opposite of her. She mostly asked how life was back in the states and told me that Bradley lived one year in New York with his dad and sister while she was over here. I didn't ask why their family was separated but I did wonder why and make assumptions in my head. They say to ASSUME is to make an ASS out of U and ME...

   When I went to check on Bradley, his door was locked and I didn't want to try it. My confidence began to break. I worried about him. But, my high hopes still raised my head. I needed to give him space or else I will be prying and he needs time to adjust. Our relationship might be moving faster than other relationships but we are a fairly new couple and we need to organize ourselves.

   It was 8 'o' clock—over five hours of waiting—that I began to worry me and it broke my ambition. I looked for refuge but alas, I didn't have one, no one to break down on. So, I went outside and sat on the grass by their front porch. I was mostly looking through my thoughts and recalling my time here with Bradley. Could I really just drop everything back in Springfield and stay with Bradley Simpson? Adjust to his tour schedules and his life? Leave my family? My siblings?

   Just as I was thinking about my mother, she called my phone.

   "Mom!" I answered.

   "Tammy? Are you okay?" Mom's voice asked full of concern.

   "Mom!" I started crying, feeling the tears fall down my face.

  "What happened?"

   "It's a long story." I sighed. "I broke up with Joey."