Chapter 26: Tired and Blue

They told me to sit down. That it was something urgent. My face turned red instantaneously.
"Tammy, your phone rang." My mom said.
"Mom! Why'd you answer my phone?!" I yelled.
"Well, in that case it seemed important!"
"Why? What happened that I'm not aware of?!"
"Your friend died!" My mom turned pale and started breaking down.
"Which one?"
"Marie called me."
"No. Miranda?"
"Yes, she got seriously injured and died in intensive care."
I started crying. My best friend died. "How'd it happen?"
"She and Demi were crossing the street and Joey was crossing. A car was coming at full speed and seemed to be drunk. She got in the way of the car. She risked her life for Joey."
"I need to go to Illinois!"
"You can't! You have to work!"
"No! Miranda was like a sister to me! I need to see Marie and see Miranda!"
"Miss Vera, let her go. She needs calm down." Bradley interfered.
"Alright." My mom answered.
"I want to go first thing tomorrow morning." I stated.
"I'll go buy tickets. I'm going with you." Bradley said.
"I'd like that."
"I'll also buy tickets for you guys." I heard a knock on the door. It was James and Connor. I fell into James' arms.
"Are you alright?" He asked.
"She died! Miranda is dead!" I cried.
"Your friend?"
"Yes!"
"I'm so sorry for your lost. My sincere condolences for the family." He helped me to he sofa.
"I need champagne. Or a shot of tequila." I mumbled.
"Tammy! No!" My father yelled.
"I need champagne!"
"No!"
"Yes!"
"No!"
"Yes dad!" I grabbed the bottle of champagne off the shelf and popped the cap. My dad and mom tried grabbing the bottle away from me but I still drank. I fell into Brad's arms until I fell asleep and was bought to bed.

I woke up early that morning. I grabbed my suitcase and my family and I left the suite. I even bought Jessica. The guys stayed in NYC along with Katrina. Leaving NYC, I felt pain. My best friend, my right hand girl, another sister to me.... dead. All because of Joey. And the drunk man.

Entering Illinois soil was like being home again. I held onto Bradley and didn't let go. I clutched his arm tight. We walked to my house and I fell inside. I threw my bags down and ran out the house. I ran down the few blocks to Marie and Jacob's house. Bradley ran behind me. Before they answered the door, Brad caught up to me. Joey answered the door, already in tears. A part of him has died. I hugged Joey.
"I'm so sorry Joey!" I cried.
"My sister!" He cried backed.
"Where's your mom?"
"Inside."
"Thanks. Come on Brad." Brad companied me in and I saw Marie and Jacob in tears at the table. They were looking at funeral home prices. "Marie!" I threw my purse down and ran to her. She arose and hugged me.
"Tammy!" She cried. "My only girl! Dead!"
"I heard. My best friend!"
"She was everything to me!"
"Me too!" Jacob entered the hug and he as well was in tears.
"My baby girl!" He cried. Brad stood behind me and stroked my hair. The hug broke up and I fell into Brad's arms.
"Brad! She's dead! She really is dead!" I cried. "I need your love more than ever." I felt Brad turn red. I looked over and saw Joey watching us. His look was pure envy. I arose and hugged Marie. "Marie, this is my fiancé, Bradley Simpson." I presented her Brad.
"Ah, so he's the guy who moves your way?" She asked.
I laughed. "Yes Marie."
"I think you two make a great couple." Jacob sniffed. He was still crying.
"When is the viewing, the funeral, the burial?" I asked.
"Tomorrow is the viewing." She replied.
"Alright. I need to go shopping. I was suppose to be at a studio in New York City for five days but since Miranda was so important to me, I grabbed the first flight over here. I have an eight day recess."
"Studio?"
"Miranda didn't tell you? I got a record dead!"
"That's amazing, Hun. Where?"
"It's in England. With the same producers that Brad has. I was messing around with Tris and I was singing Taylor Swift, 22. They loved me and signed me instantly. I have a duet called, Fathoming Stars."
"You always did love stars."
"I watch them every night with Brad."
"That's wonderful." The door knocked and I saw Tallia with Jessica. I ran towards Tallia picking up Jessica.
"My baby!" I winked at Tallia and went I. "Marie, this dog is our dog, Jessica."
"You guys got a new dog to accompany Alexa?"
"No. This is Me and Brad's dog. We got her when we first started dating."
"That's adorable. And I see she loves her family."
"And she's going to like it even more with the new additions."
"What? You are going to start having kids?"
"No, I'm pregnant, Marie. I'm pregnant with twins!"
"What! That's early though."
"Hey, mom got pregnant with me when she was nineteen too."
"That's true!" She started laughing. She reached in and touched my belly. "Wow, at least three months, right?"
"How'd you know?"
"I've had twins. And Tabitha had twins too. And what's my career?"
"You're a nurse."
"At a doctor office that does ultrasounds."
"I know Marie." I giggled. We ended the visit with a hug and good memories. I love Marie like an aunt. She was there whenever I needed a smile or a good lesson.

We walked home, arm and arm, with Jessica in our arms. Just arriving at my house, I felt something tragic in my mind. A memory of Demi, Miranda, and I standing right in front of my house, waiting for our prom dates. That memory was so real so long ago. Now it seems like a life ago. One life ago.