The Master Sword

Another four years passed. No one has heard much about Link besides a few times when someone told a story about a young swordsman saving them. We had no doubt that the swordsman was Link.

The newest story we've heard so far was from a Goron named Daruk. Apparently, Link had been sending quite a bit of time at Death Mountain. He even saved Daruk's life. When the Goron paid us a visit, he wouldn't stop talking about how impressed he was with him and how Link was dubbed Daruk's official brother.

Father immediately sent out knights to go find Link, but he knew it was in vain. He had become desperate after attempts to pull out the sword went terribly wrong. One man almost died trying to get it out. But who was I to talk when my power hadn't appeared?

My only consolation was my research which I had picked up again. It may not be helping me awaken the sacred power, but at least it kept me positive. I even met up with some of the Sheikah as I restarted my research. It wasn't enough to comfort myself though, especially when the sword that seals the darkness loomed over me like nothing else. My itch to see it again still didn't cease over the years. I couldn't ignore it any longer.

Getting on my usual blue and white shirt, grey pants, and Hylian boots, I crept through the halls until I reached the secret passage that led to the docks. When I got there, I took a boat and rode it to Rauru Settlement–a place named after Hyrule's first king. From there, I hiked to the Lost Woods.

To my displeasure, the Military Training Camp my father established outside the Lost Woods was flooded with soldiers. I breathed, reminding myself I was in traveling gear. They would not know it was me from a distance, and if I remained in the tree line, they might not see me at all.

The trip through the woods was easier than my first experience. Torches were left at the entrance so travelers could get through the fog, and I wasn't shy about taking one. Without any rain to blow out my flame, I reached Korok Forest in no time.

Koroks hide from me when I entered, but soon they peeked their heads out when they saw I was no threat. I sniffed out my torch's flame with the dirt and left it in a safe spot. The Great Deku Tree was in a deep sleep, but I knew he must have felt my presence.

While my eyes lingered on the brilliant sword, they were distracted by the shrine the Great Deku Tree informed me about. When I reached the shrine, I traced my fingers along a pedestal with the eye of the Sheikah etched in it. I found it rather curious. Like always, the entrance inside the shrine was shut.

I moved along, finally approaching the legendary sword that awaited me at the roots of the Great Deku Tree. My shaking legs stood on the platform, and I thought about touching the violet handle embedded with the power of the Goddess Hylia.

Instead, I circled the sword, studying its beauty and craftsmanship. Its shimmering blade looked spotless despite how long it must have been sitting there. I could understand Father's urge to pull it out. It was silly for him to try, but for me, having my destiny set in stone, it was a joke.

So instead, I knelt on my knees. I craned my neck to stare at the pink blanket of blossoms and at the sunlight that came through to land perfectly on the sword. Then I bowed my head reverently, grasping my hands together.

"If this is where you wished me to go, then please, let the voice of the sword guide me," I whispered.

Standing up, I drifted closer to the sword. I took a breath then I prepared to feel the unbearable pain Father had described when he touch it. Eventually, I clasped my hands around the handle, squeezing my eyes shut, but no pain came.

Astonished, I opened my eyes to be sure I had my hands on it. Sure enough, they were. Though I didn't plan on pulling out the sword when I came here, I wondered if perhaps I could. Before I could try, I heard footsteps coming out of the Lost Woods.

I quickly let go of the sword's handle and hid behind the huge roots that stuck out of the ground. After the last encounter I had with Father here, I didn't want him catching me trying to pull the sword out. I could imagine what he would say to something like that. I needed to focus on my own destiny instead of changing it. He wouldn't listen to a word I said about being drawn here.

As the steps neared, I almost let out a gasp. Thankfully I was able to keep my mouth shut. Now standing in front of the sword was none other than Link.

He still wore a green shirt, but his hair was a little longer than before as he held some of it up in a ponytail. Clearly, the adventure had made him forget about trimming, but it fit him nicely. And his eyes were the same shade of blue as when he left but much harder to read. The child light he once had was gone.

He took a steady breath, then as I had done, he placed both hands on the sword. I kept quiet, not believing that I was the only one witnessing this aside from koroks that watched from the shadows along with me. I saw pain briefly cross his face, then it was gone. And just like that, he pulled out the sword as if it took no effort.

I watched as he raised it high above him, studying the blade. It was then that I clutched at my chest and bowed in prayer once more. Perhaps this was what I waited so long for. The sword to be drawn, so the voice within could be set free.

My heart plummeted as I felt nothing stir. I heard no such voice from the sword or from Hylia. Lifting my chin up, I saw Link was leaving with the sword. I came out of my hiding place feeling angry at myself and jealous over how easily he drew the sword compared to others that tried before him. Was he just a natural-born hero? Maybe, in truth, I wasn't the one to inherit the sacred power. Maybe, in reality, the power belonged to a farm girl who was naturally a leader just as he was a hero.

Shaking my head, I ended my thoughts there. They weren't helping. If I couldn't awaken my power, at least the sword had been pulled. And I knew that I could help the relics work properly. If I could help in some way, I'd stop thinking about how pitiful I was.

"You are not pitiful, Princess," the Great Deku Tree said, startling me. Had he been awake when Link drew the sword?

"Thank you, Great Deku Tree. I'll continue to take your words to heart," I said once I had maintained my composure.

"Good. I believe you'll bless this land with your kindness."

I nodded, amazed that an ancient being would say that about me. Before I left, I waited until I knew Link would be out of the Lost Woods. The koroks warmed up to me due to the assurance of the Great Deku Tree during that time. Together we drew in the dirt and one offered me a flower. This increased my spirits drastically. But then I remembered my promise to Impa. If I was lucky I would be able to meet up with her still.

Impa was one of the other Sheikah I have encountered. She always waited at the Sacred Grounds around noon for me to see if I had anything new to tell her. The previous day I visited her, she told me she had a lead on a special little relic I read about. We had reason to believe that it would be the key to operating the shrines and Divine Beasts. 

 My excitement peaked as I crossed Hyrule Forest Park. Soon I could see the figure of Impa at the Sacred Grounds as I travel along the smooth path laid out for travelers. She was a bit taller than me and half of her long white hair was pulled up. Getting closer I could make out the Sheikah symbol painted on her forehead despite the strange hat she wore that covered some of the symbol.

"Are you ready?" she asked as I neared, not questioning why I came in the direction I did or why I looked so sweaty when our journey hadn't even begun.

I nodded then added, "Where exactly are we headed?"

"To the Great Plateau." The only other place, besides the Spring of Wisdom, that I had always wanted to visit but never had. I just hoped it wouldn't be a disappointment. 

Yay! The Master Sword has been pulled! Did you like that Zelda was there to witness it? If not, why. Personally, I think it brings more light to why she resents him. The fact that she tried hearing the voice in the sword and connecting with it, then Link comes along yanking it out having something to show for himself while she still has nothing. Anyway, vote, comment, and please tell me what your thoughts are!