Embers of Twilight Part 2

I stood on the wall of the castle with my bow at my side. Knights were stationed in Castle Town as normal but everyone was on high alert. A big part of me doubted that the shadow creatures would try storming in from Castle Town. And if they did, they wouldn't worry so much about the people as they would the knights. That was my hope, at least.

"Princess, the men are getting restless," the captain stated.

"I won't let my guard down. If my father magically arrives then all my worry is for nothing, but until that happens we wait."

The captain looked at the sky, darkened by clouds. "And if it starts raining on us?"

"Then it rains," I said clutching my bow tighter in my hand.

As time drained on, many of the men around me leaned against the wall bored out of their minds. A few remained standing strong. I assumed they were the same men that normally took watch during the long nights.

A strange sound echoed above us. My eyes glanced to see the warp hole. I ordered the men to their feet. I notched an arrow as I watched the shadow beasts land down on the bridge below us. All the men were aiming with me. On my count, we released our arrows. They flew down, hitting our targets. As soon as all were killed besides one, it shrieked bringing the others back to life.

I instantly realized that we had to kill all of them around the same time. It was hopeless to do so when they just kept coming. Arrows seemed to do very little to their skin. I called the men back as I spotted more creatures coming out of the warp hole. These creatures were different. They could fly. And they didn't waste any time swooping in to knock men down to the other beasts.

Those who made it off the walls went into the courtyard below. The doors burst open and the beasts crawled in rapidly. The men drew their swords, working together to slay the creatures on the ground. I and some others shot down the creatures that flew above our heads. They were an easy one-shot if hit in their weak point.

I heard more of the creatures' shrieking. To my horror, men lay dead on the ground. I knew that there was only one thing that might be able to stop their attack. I dropped my bow, shut my eyes, and clenched my fists.

"Please, Hylia let me use the power to protect my kingdom. Let it be enough."

"Princess!" someone shouted.

My eyes flashed open to see the man who killed my father thrusting his swords at me. I spun, using what magic I had. A crystal shield formed around me, knocking him back. That, however, wouldn't be enough to stop it. It was only a portion of the power I had running through my veins.

The man got to his feet, making a strange sound. "I believe I haven't introduced myself," he said before he spun my way.

I ducked as he continued to spin past me. I took out the sword I had at my side. He came at me again. I blocked him, praying to Hylia. A portion of his helmet rolled up, revealing his lips. Saliva stuck to his teeth as he spoke.

"It's Zant," he said, pressing harder against me.

I pushed with all my might. I got him off me and sliced at his knee then kicked it. He stumbled back. Raising my hand, I pleaded for aid. Then I saw the smile on Zant's face just before he closed his helmet.

"Yes, try calling to Hylia and the Light Spirits. Try getting the Sages to aid you."

Magic went through me as I shot another small part of my power at him. A ball of flames sent him flailing back down. I called for all those who remained to retreat to the castle. We went inside quickly, blocking the doors the best we could. We continued through the castle until they chased us down to the throne room.