Divine Beasts

When I got back to the castle, Father easily cornered me. I gave him an innocent smile while I hid the slate behind my back. I knew he would want to hear about it sooner or later, but I feared he would only scold me. Not wearing my white dress was enough to tell him I wasn't where I was supposed to be.

"Meet me in the Cabinet Room within ten minutes. Something has come up," he said in his gruff voice, turning his body curtly away while his eyes pierced into mine, "I hope you didn't plan to hide that device from me, Zelda."

I glanced at the ground wearily as I pulled the slate out from behind me. He made no other comments as he marched away.

Ten minutes later, in my traditional blue dress and tiara, I creaked open the heavy wooden door to Father's cabinet. In place of the normal desks for studying was a long narrow table. I had the misfortune of being the last person to enter the room.

The eyes of ambassadors from each race stared at me as I went to my seat at Father's right. I winced at the scraping sound created by the legs of the chair sliding along the stone floor. Then I sat down and put my hands in my lap. I was afraid to make further noise.

Father gave me a stern look before turning his gaze to the Goron, Zora, Gerudo, and Rito in the room. All four of them wore a badge with their corresponding Divine Beast found in their area to signify their role.

"As you have all reported to me, the Divine Beasts are now operational," he began, and my eyes lit up from the news as he continued, "So I believe that the time has come for us to choose a Champion for each. As we agreed, the race the Divine Beast reigns in will be the chosen champion. First, for the Gerudo."

The ambassador for the Gerudo stood to her feet. She was probably the tallest person in the room. Her hair was a bright pink color.

"We have discussed the matter very thoroughly. Though we know our Chief already has much on her hands, there isn't any other that could possibly take her place," she said firmly, making it clear she didn't want any arguments made against her.

"Thank you, but that choice is still up to her. Urbosa's fate is not written," Father said, giving a glance at me as the word "fate" came from his lips.

His gaze returned to the others, settling upon the Goron, "And what of your people."

The rather cubby round-face Goron gave a huge grin as he toppled his chair while standing. "I would like everyone's advice, goro!" He then stared awkwardly at the ground as he explained the real issue, "We got a little sidetracked and never settled on an answer."

The Gerudo huffed, crossing her arms as she was back in her seat again, "Of course, you have no idea who to choose. I thought that matter would've been simple." She faced my father, "Daruk is the obvious choice, Sire."

The Zora and Rito both nodded at the response, agreeing. The Goron set his chair back up and sat down, twiddling his large thumbs.

"He is my preference as well," Father said, not looking the Goron's way as he moved on to the Rito.

The female Rito didn't bother standing like the other two. She focused her purple eyes on Father as she placed her lavender wings together as one would cross their arms. She seemed to be the only happy one in the room at that moment.

"I haven't discussed it with anyone yet besides the Chief because we both know how Revali can be. Despite his pride, his skills are beyond any other Rito."

I understood exactly what she meant. Relvali could go a bit overboard when it came to making others look bad in comparison to himself. I just didn't understand why he felt the need to do so. He was already at the top. There was nothing else he needed to do to prove that he was a capable warrior. Whereas for me, I had nothing to show for my training.