Embers of Twilight Part 3

It had been three days since I'd seen Midna. During that time, I'd been able to put some pieces together. From what I'd heard, Zant wanted her found. I was finally assured that she wasn't on his side. We had a common enemy and I could trust that.

Having nothing to do in the room, I had a lot of time on my hands to think. Of course, there was always the option of looking down on Castle Town. I preferred to avoid spending my time in such a way.

Sometimes I didn't know if I really chose correctly in surrendering. Death almost looked appealing rather than constantly living in fear. My heart was set at ease as I knew that there might be a chance.

I rested in the dusty bed, staring at the rather cold fire on the opposite side of the room. I was afraid to sleep but sleeping was how I escaped my prison and gathered information through visions. Yet, in my dreams, I also got a closer look at what my people were experiencing. My heart couldn't take anymore.

From outside I heard a crash. Quickly I got up to look out the window. Nothing had appeared out of the normal from the Twilight. As I continued to watch the sky, I saw the lightning. Even though I was in a bad situation, I couldn't help myself but wonder how everything in the Shadow Realm worked.

My eyes drifted down towards my people. I shouldn't have looked. Nothing had changed since the last time I peeked down. Fear of the unknown.

A growl came from behind me. I swiftly turned around, not expecting the guard to come by so soon. I gasped when I saw it was a black wolf with Midna riding on top of it. When the wolf saw I was no threat, it backed down. I could tell right away that it wasn't what it seemed. The wolf was hardly a wolf at all. He was a person.

"Midna?!" I asked as the two of them came closer to me.

She giggled, "You remembered my name? What an honor for me . . ."

I ignored her cynicism as I stared at the blue eyes of the wolf. I quickly realized who she had brought me. There was only one way he wasn't transformed into a spirit. He had to be the wielder of the Triforce of Courage.

"So, this is the one for whom you were searching," I said while his eyes never left mine.

Looking back at Midna, I watched her lift her hand to her chain. Clearly, she wasn't impressed with what she had seen so far. I couldn't blame her for hating us, humans. Our people did cast hers into the Twilight, letting innocent generations suffer afterward.

"He's not exactly what I had in mind, but . . . I guess he'll do."

I was content with her response. My eyes went back down to his as I knelt. Though he was not in his true form, I could tell right away that he was good at heart. I could also feel his pain. He lost someone. A flash of that moment ran through my mind. It was more than just one person, and I learned that his name was Link. Strange . . .

Trying to train myself on something else, I only found the shackle around his left paw. It appeared we had another thing in common.

"You were imprisoned?" I had to look away from him as I whispered, "I am sorry."

Midna wasted no time to keep things moving as she rustled his fur. "Poor thing, he has no idea where this is or what's happened . . ." Her next lines were low blows that sank deep. "So, don't you think you should explain to him what you've managed to do? You owe him that much . . . Twilight Princess!"