Embers of Twilight Part 4

I felt my bones shake. My legs quickly rushed over to the window. Beyond Hyrule, I saw the twilight lifted from Faron Woods. The glow of Faron illuminated the area. A smile crossed my face as I took a glance at my hand. The light was on the mend.

Closing my eyes, I sensed what was happening. There Link stood, dressed in the green garb of the ancient hero. He was exactly how I pictured him. My eyes opened again. I no longer stood by his side but in the darkened room. My power was growing. It still wouldn't be enough, however.

The door opened behind me. I knew who it was right away. Zant clearly wasn't pleased that his power wasn't strong enough to keep what he had gained.

"How is it possible?" he questioned me.

I didn't even look at him as I said, "Shadows can't exist without the light."

He used his power to force me to turn his way. My feet were five inches off the ground. His mask unfolded. It was the first time I saw his face. I could understand why he wore the mask. He was intimating that way, and without it, he was slender and immature. I gave him credit for his unusual yellow eyes. Unlike Midna, he had no pupils.

Out of anger, he tossed me against the window. I slammed down to the floor, the hood falling off my head. As I lifted myself up, he stormed out of the room. I took deep breaths. My body ached from the pain.

"Hurry Link," I whispered, "It won't be long before he catches you."

My eyes drifted to the bed in the room. Slowly, I made my way over there. After a toss-up like that, I needed rest. I would just have to deal with whatever nightmares came. With luck, I would be able to see Link's progress.

* * *

After a few more days, I found myself resting more than ever. With two light spirits, I was able to control what I saw in my dreams. From there I watched my people along with Link and Midna. Link restored Eldin power's soon after. Just as I suspected, Midna showed she had very little respect for me.

As Link renewed the flaming beast Fyrus to his original state, Midna took the third fused shadow piece. I was not fooled into thinking her mask was just decoration. I knew what it was. I only wondered why she had it. My suspicions of who she was rose higher as she spoke to Link. I was grateful that she finally respected Link. I listened as she offered him information about Zant, and I was surprised that she hadn't told him the information beforehand.

"He's very strong. You would be nothing to him in your current state . . . But Zant will never be my king! I have nothing but scorn for his supposed strength. Not that your Zelda is much better . . ."

And there was her judgemental side. However, I almost found myself in agreement with her. I let it all happen. Long ago, my ancestor had a vision and acted on it right away. It was later found out a boy warned her as well. But I needed to stop blaming myself. I spoke to my father about my vision as she did. What else could I have done differently?

"It still appalls me that this world of light is controlled by that princess. A carefree youth, a life of luxury . . . How does that teach duty?" she sighed, "But I guess I shouldn't begrudge her the circumstances of her life. She didn't choose it, after all. And I would never wish harm on her . . ."

My head tilted as she said that last line. She really was learning from Link's example. I hoped he realized that. She cared, but she wouldn't admit to it.

And so their adventure went on as I woke to the sound of the creaking door. My feet hit the floor as I looked at Zant. He had a smile on his face.