Adrift in Time Part 2

Days had gone by and Ganondorf was still lingering in the castle. I watched him as closely as I could, hoping that I would hear from Link soon. Then came the day. The day destruction came upon Hyrule.

Having another dream of the stormy darkness, I woke up early in the morning before even the sun came up. I got dressed quickly and quietly and crept along the corridors. I reached a large painting of Mother.

I pulled at the painting as if it was a door. A set of stairs were hidden behind it. Climbing them, I reached a locked door that could only be accessed by the royal family.

Pressing my hand firmly against the door, it glowed lightly and opened for me. I stepped into a round room with a pedestal centered in the middle. On it was the Ocarina of Time in all its glory.

I picked it up, feeling how smooth it felt in my hands. The blue reminded me of the royal family's color. So much power in such a small instrument. It was said to be made from the same material as the legendary Gate of Time.

Turning around, I gasped as I found Impa standing behind me. Her arms were crossed as she looked down at me. She knew me too well.

"Today isn't going to end well, is it?" she asked.

My head sank down, "I am afraid not. What is to happen is beyond me, but if need be the Ocarina of Time will have to somehow end up in Link's hands. He is the only one I trust with it."

"Why trust in him so much?"

Looking back up, I said confidently, "Because I just know."

With Impa by my side, we took a walk outside the castle grounds. Only a few people were up in the town. They quietly went about their business as it was mostly mothers washing clothes or beating the dust off their mats. It was a beautiful start to a horrible day.

Entering the temple grounds, we went inside the Temple of Time. No matter what time of day, the place was always reverent. The floor gleamed beneath us and our steps echoed throughout the room. Impa waited at the door as I went to the alter where the three stones would be placed once Link obtained them.

I clutched the Ocarina close to me. Thankfully, I felt the power coursing through my body. I closed my eyes, picturing Link in front of me. I relayed my message to him. A message that I had hoped I could tell him word for word myself.

"Link, when you hold this Ocarina in your hand . . . I won't be around anymore. I wanted to wait for you, but I couldn't delay any longer."

I turned around. Inside my head, I hoped that when Link got the message, my power would be strong enough to show him what I played. I slowly lifted the ocarina to my lips as I spoke more to him.

"At least I could leave you the Ocarina and this melody. This song opens the Door of Time."

I played the melody as soon as the mouthpiece touched my lips. As I played the song, I couldn't feel the world around me. I couldn't hear Impa's breaths by the door. When the song was over, my eyes remained closed so I could picture Link in my mind. It was hard for me to explain the connection I had with him after only meeting once.

Then I heard it. The sweet sound of the song playing back to me. I opened my eyes to see if he was there, but everything returned to normal. I could hear Impa's breaths again. Despite that, a small smile came to my lips as I lowered the Ocarina.

"Now, Link. Play this melody in front of the altar in the Temple of Time. You must protect the Triforce!" I finished, feeling my words to him sink deep in the Ocarina. I could only pray that I would be able to get it to him before Ganondorf did anything.

Impa turned to face me, "Let's head back. If your Father finds the Ocarina missing--"

I nodded before she could finish. She watched as I walked out of the temple, my feet feeling heavy. The trip back to the castle was longer than our trip from it. When we reached the castle, Impa stayed by my side.

We made our way down the halls, hearing the buzz of the missing Ocarina. Impa sighed, but she said nothing. I knew what she would have said though . . . to speak with my father right away. I did just that, beginning to run. Impa jogged to keep up.

Reaching my father's room, I lifted my hand to knock on the door. However, before I could, it creaked open. It wasn't like my father to keep his door unlocked during the early morning hours. I pressed on the door a little as it swung to its full extent. Impa had caught up to me as we both stared at the gruesome sight.

My father was dead on the floor, blood soaking into his once-clean white shirt. His crown had rolled off his head. It spun in circles like a top. Above him, Ganondorf stood with a sword in his hand. His yellow eyes glanced at me and the Ocarina in my hands. I trembled and tears landed on the blue surface of the instrument as I clutched it tighter.

"So it was you who hid it from me," he said, starting to come towards me as I stood there in fear.

Impa ripped me out of my spot as a ball of fire flew our way. We ran down the halls, Impa in the lead with her hand clenched around my wrist. She shouted at the guards we passed to stop Ganondorf. They all ran in his direction.

We sprinted to one of the secret passages. Impa didn't even bother closing the passageway door or taking a torch. She knew the route well, so I trusted her with everything I had as we ran in the darkness. My mind spun around as the image of my father's body wouldn't leave. I wondered if it was my fault he had gotten killed. Ganondorf had thought my father was hiding the Ocarina from him.

I shook my head as we came to the end of the tunnel, back into the light. No, I told myself. Ganondorf would've killed my father anyway. If I hadn't taken the Ocarina . . . Ganondorf would have it. I would be dead and Link would be walking into a trap.

Impa took us to the stables, quickly saddling my white horse. She lifted me onto it just as the doors to the stable busted off their hinges. Ganondorf stood in the doorway. Impa got on the horse in a dash, then smacked the horse's side hard. The horse bolted forward. Ganondorf didn't have time to react as we zoomed past.

"Lower the bridge!" Impa shouted as loud as she could to the guards on top of the stone walls.

I watched as the bridge lowered. My heart hammered in my chest as I glanced behind us. Ganondorf could not be seen, but I had no doubt he would be on our tail soon.

It was then that the clouds darkened as if the world really had come to an end. It reminded me all too much of my dream. Thick clouds came out of nowhere and covered Hyrule from the sun.

We made it to the drawbridge within an adequate amount of time. As we crossed it, my eyes widened. At first, I thought I was mistaken because of the rush, but as I glanced back it truly was him. Link. He had come!

I made no second thoughts before chucking the Ocarina right into the moat. I saw his eyes follow it. My soul ached as I watched Link and my home fade from view. I had often wondered if seeing the future was ever something I would cherish. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't change what Time wanted of Hyrule . . . but I knew he could.

So there you go! Next up, Zelda's life during those seven years Link was sealed away

So there you go! Next up, Zelda's life during those seven years Link was sealed away. It should be fun. Vote, comment, and any favorite Zelda songs?