Adrift in Time Part 5

None of the Kokiri were very helpful in giving me directions through the Lost Woods. I'll admit, I looked intimidating, but I saved one of them from some monsters. The rest were hiding out in their houses. Unfortunately, the Kokiri I saved still didn't want anything to do with me.

However, I stumbled upon a house that was located higher than the rest, like a tree house. The sign on the front read: Link's House. I went up the ladder and through the small door. I was surprised to find that there was someone else in the house. A Kokiri girl with green hair and blue eyes. She sat on the bed, her feet hovering inches above the floor. She looked at me, afraid like the others had been.

"It's alright," I said, "I am not here to hurt you. I just need to get through the Lost Woods. I'm guessing that you know Link."

Her mouth slowly cracked open, and she breathed out his name. Her eyes met mine without fear, "So you're a friend of Link? Do you know what happened to him?"

I nodded, coming over to sit down with her. "He's alive . . . that's all I can really tell you. But if you want to help him then help me through the Lost Woods."

"Where are you trying to go?" she asked as I scanned the room.

"To the Forest Temple."

"I see," she said as she stood, "Follow me. I know the way. You'll protect me though, right?"

I got to my feet as well, "Of course."

She headed out of the house. I took one last look around before leaving. It hurt me to see what Link was taken from. The girl must have been a dear friend.

I walked out to find the girl down below the ladder. I jumped down swiftly. She stared at me and then waved a hand to signal me. Her small legs took off. We reached the entrance to the Lost Woods.

She must have had it all mapped out in her mind as she ran into the different hollow logs. We reached an end to the twists and turns.

"I haven't been to the temple in some time," she breathed, coming to a stop as we reached what seemed to be some sort of maze.

"Why's that?"

She picked up a rock and threw it forward. A Moblin rushed after the rock. I understood her fear. They weren't the brightest of monsters but compared to her they were giants. I knew that there was an easier way to get there. The walls would be an effortless feat for me after all my time practicing with Impa.

"The temple is just beyond this, isn't it? You don't have to come along," I said.

She closed her eyes, but when she opened them, she reminded me of myself. "I suppose I don't. The temple is just ahead. I should be fine getting back since we saw no sign of--"

Laughter echoed out behind us. I swirled around to stare into the Lost Woods. My eyes went back down to the girl. I realized that I hadn't asked her name.

"What's your name?"

She looked away from the Lost Woods, confused about why I would ask. "Saria."

"Well Saria, I don't think it would be a good idea for you to go back in there now."

Saria watched as I crouched down. When she didn't move, I told her to get on my back. Slowly she did. I sprang forward and up, landing safely on top of the walls. We could see the Moblins patrolling down below us. I jumped from one section to the next with Saria on my back. We made it to the end of the small maze and to a set of stairs. I jumped down and set Saria back down on the ground.