Adrift in Time Part 1

Darkness clouded the land. A deep laughter rang in my ears. I took in shallow breaths as it drew closer to me. I started to run away from it. I was getting nowhere. Soon I was crawling on my knees. I hated dreams like that. Where you feel you've turned into rock, too heavy to run on your own two feet. It was a dream, but it felt real.

Looking back, I watched as the clouds surrounded me. A ghostly figure appeared, reaching for me. I found myself clutching the blue ocarina to my chest. It wanted it for some reason.

I shut my eyes, extending one hand out. The sacred power, I needed it to stop the darkness. Nothing happened. That's just how it was for me. The power was unpredictable. One day I could control it. The next day, I couldn't muster a spark. I had been able to use the power since I was born, but it never worked when I needed it to.

A great wind suddenly whipped my headdress off my head. My golden hair blew behind me. I opened my eyes to see a stunning light coming out of the forest. I watched in amazement as the light split the darkness, bringing color back to the field around me.

Slowly getting back on my feet, I watched as the light turned into a figure of a person. They held up a glowing green stone. Right by the person's side was a small fairy. Then Impa appeared by the figure, playing a familiar tune to the figure. Before the figure's face was revealed to me, I heard the sound of trumpets from outside of my dream.

I shot out of bed, scaring the maids who were in my room preparing my breakfast. Impa, my attendant, came to my bedside. She had always been more like a mother to me more than anything. When my mother passed away, it was Impa who continued to sing me to sleep when I had tough nights.

"Was it another nightmare?" she asked.

I didn't answer as ran over to the window. I saw a man riding up to the castle along the dirt road. He was Gerudo. The only male Gerudo and their leader.

"Princess?" Impa asked, sounding concerned.

"Is Father meeting with that man?" I inquired as I sharply turned to her.

"I believe he is. What did you see in your dream?"

I walked over to where my maids had set out my dress for the day. Moving too quickly for them, I got dressed on my own. I had to speak with my father as soon as possible.

"I'll tell you when I tell Father. I just need to get to him before . . ." I didn't finish my sentence as I burst out of the door with my headdress slightly crooked on my head.

Caring not for my appearance, but for the safety of Hyrule, I dashed through the corridors. I ended up spooking several maids and guards roaming around. I could only give them a quick apology.

Reaching the hall where the great doors entered at the drawbridge, I stopped short as they opened. Quickly, I hid behind the corner I had just come from. My father's voice echoed my way, sounding clear and firm. I peeked my head out to see the tall pale green man bow at my father's feet.

"I am glad to be here, your Grace. I hope we can make an alliance between our races," he said, but everything in his tone told me he wasn't to be trusted.

"Though I would like to get down to busy as soon as possible, Ganondorf, I am afraid it will have to wait. In the meantime, please make yourself comfortable. My men will lead you to your room if you wish to rest from your travels."

"I am very thankful for your hospitality," he said, sounding as humble as a snake.

"It is the least I can do. I don't like to keep people waiting," my father said before he turned to attend his other duties. I knew that I had to speak with him soon.