Daruk: the Champion of Rudania

After the cold perilous journey to the Rito village, we traveled onward toward the heat of Death Mountain. We took a short break at the castle, but bright and early the next morning we left. With us, we took potions that would protect us from the burning heat. The same guards as before accompanied me there. Father was still indecisive about what knight would be assigned to me as I continued on roads like the one to Death Mountain.

When we got there, as promised, Daruk met us a good distance away from Death Mountain so it wasn't too hot for us. I felt bad for the two guards who were wearing a full set of armor.

"Daruk," I said with a respectful nod.

He gave a huge smile as he bowed politely with big motions, "Tiny princess! Let's talk some Ganon crushing!"

I laughed at his response as we started to walk side by side, going nowhere in particular. It was actually quite nice to just walk around and see the place. It was the first time that I had been on Death Mountain. For me, it may not be what I would call luscious and beautiful, but I could tell how much the place meant to Daruk.

While we strolled along, making small talk, some young Gorons came running past. They looked so cheerful and happy. I noticed how Gorons always seemed to have the biggest smiles compared to the rest of us.

"Everyone seems very quaint here and at rest," I commented, then I slowed as I asked, "Have you given any thought to becoming the Champion over Rudania? Please know that we will understand if you decline."

There was a big chuckle from him, as he began to stride with confidence, "Ah! Count me in, tiny princess! I'm the fearless Daruk, after all! And if Hyrule needs my help, I'll gladly lay down my life."

Relief filled my bones, though I didn't know why I thought he would say no after all the love he showed for his people. Again hope was shining through. And I thought that maybe after all these positive events, my powers would finally emerge.

"Thank you, Daruk!" I said merrily.

He looked over at me with surprise, like he wasn't used to being thanked. It vanished in a second however as his head went higher up in the air and his back straightened. He was an easily lovable Goron despite how intimidating he appeared.

The topic went on, as he explained one of his reasons for agreeing to become one of the Champions.

"Not sure if it's Calamity Ganon's fault or what, but I hear monsters have been attacking people more than ever lately," he stated, looking down at me with his fearless blue eyes, "Times like these . . . you shouldn't leave the castle without a horde of mighty Gorons to watch your back."

His comment could only remind me of what was in place for the future, "You sound like Father. He's assigning a knight to watch over me wherever I go."

I looked out in front of me to hide the disdain in my eyes. Father may not attempt it, but he knew exactly who he wanted as my appointed knight. Father just had to wait to see if he would show up. No matter what though, he was in this with the rest of us, having drawn the darkness-sealing sword and all.

"I hear the top contender is the most accomplished swordsman in all of Hyrule," I dared to say, leaving out his name, knowing fully well of Daruk's brotherly love for him.

Daruk caught on well often though, which didn't shock me in the slightest. "Huh, that could only be . . ."

Before he could say the name, he heard something. He faced in the direction we were walking. His eyes squinted a little, his big eyebrows furrowing downward.