Skyward Bound Part 1

Link had always been a shy boy. The timidest one on Skyloft. He lived with his father and cherished every time his father returned. His mother had died when he was born. I wondered about him more than anyone in Skyloft. I never got the courage to speak with him though. Every time I saw him, he was with his father while I was with mine. I never wanted to ruin their reunions.

A day came though when his father didn't return. My father was the one to bear Link the bad news. He didn't believe it as I watched him run close to the edge of Skyloft, shouting for his father. I looked up at my father's eyes as he watched the boy, in pain. Link's shouting didn't stop until his voice could cry no longer. It was lost to him in a different way than in how quiet his voice was before.

The next day, in the pouring rain we honored his father along with other brave knights. One minute Link was there and the next time I glanced over, he was gone. I ran off in search of him, worried for his well-being even though I had never gotten the opportunity to speak with him for very long. I felt connected to him somehow, whether that was because of the friendship my father had with his, I didn't know. Regardless, I wanted to make sure he was okay just as I did every time when his father left on long trips. It was different that day.

Searching around, I finally found Link crunched up into a ball while the rain beat down on him. I extended out my umbrella to cover him from the cold rain. When he looked up at me, I reached out my other hand, smiling at him. I didn't want him to be alone anymore. For years I wanted to be friends with him. I couldn't let him down, even if we hardly knew each other.

Slowly, with tears still in his eyes, he took my hand. I helped him to his feet, the umbrella covering the both of us. I continued to smile as I took him on a walk around Skyloft. I explained the history of the light tower and allowed him to simply listen.

When it had been nearly an hour, my father stumbled upon us. I tipped the umbrella back a little so we could properly look at him. Then he knelt down so he was at eye level with the two of us.

"Link," he said, "If you would like, I'd be honored to give you a room at the Academy. It is the least I could do for you."

My head turned to Link as he seemed unsure about it. I gently placed my hand on his shoulder. He turned to me, staring at me with his round blue eyes.

"I'll be just upstairs from you and can come down whenever you want."

His eyes went back over to my father's as he gave a small nod. A smile spread across my father's face as a beam came to mine. My father then asked me to help Link gather whatever possessions he wished from his house. I nodded as Link and I walked to his home.

When we reached his front door, he made no attempt to open it. I handed him the umbrella and opened the door just a crack as I suggested, "If you want, I can get your stuff for you."

He shook his head as he closed the umbrella. Then he gave a glance at my small hand. I knew what he needed right away as I smiled taking his hand in mine. Together we walked into the dimly lit house. The only light was provided by the window which was stained by raindrops.

I watched as he grabbed a bag while I took charge of the umbrella again. He started to shove some clothes into the bag along with a few other things like a painted wood craving. He tied up the bag and then he took one last item, his father's broken night goggles.

Opening the door for him, I stepped out of the house. After I closed the door behind me, I opened the umbrella back up and guided him to the Knight Academy. I carefully unlocked the huge doors that led inside. By the door, I left the umbrella to dry.