Beginning Again

Having spent most of the evening, sitting on the bridge, we finally went inside where it was warm. I smiled at the table set up for two. On his walls, each of the Champions' weapons were displayed. I traced my fingers on the jewels of Urbosa's shield.

"What do you want for dinner? I've become a decent cook," Link said, clapping his hands together. He seemed more lively than normal.

I turned away from the shield, taking in a breath, "Um, I don't really know. After 100 years anything sounds good."

Link nodded, "I'll get cooking then. I'm sure you'll want to rest." His eyes glanced up at the bed before he left to cook our meal.

Slowly, I went up the stairs. Hanging on the wall was the picture Link had gotten from Kass. I will forever wish I had taken more pictures of the people around me, such as Father. However, it was good to know they moved on to the next life.

I sat down on the bed, debating if I should really sleep or not. It turned out my body didn't give me much of a choice. The next thing I knew, Link was shaking me awake. I jolted in my sleep, confused about where I was.

"It's alright," he said calmly.

"Sorry," I whispered, but then I tasted the smells of roasted meat and savory rolls, "What did you make?"

"Just a few things," he said modestly. I took one look down at the table and then back at him.

"A few things?"

He scratched his head before extending his hand out, signaling for me to head in front of him. I went down the stairs with him following behind. As I sat down, he carefully inched my chair forward respectfully. I watched as he placed the food down in front of me. He then sat on the other side.

I thanked him before the two of us began eating. After a while though, things became awkward. Where did we even begin after all of this? I had witnessed his entire adventure. It seemed strange to ask about the things he did during that time, but I knew I had to start somewhere.

"So um, I noticed that your table was already set for two. Is there any reason for that?"

I caught him at a bad moment as he was drinking some milk. He nearly spat it back in the cup. After swallowing, he cleared his throat.

"I . . . uh . . . that was Bolson's doing actually. But I guess even if I had done it . . . I suppose so it didn't feel so empty."

I hemmed, "I see. What about the girl you like?"

Link started coughing as he was once again getting a drink, "Girl!?"

Pressing my fingers to my lips, I laughed, "Surely after all this time you can confess. You never did say anything about that voe class."

He turned the tables, "Well, what about you? There was something you wanted the Great Deku Tree to tell me. What was it?"

I stuffed my hands between my legs. There was something I wanted to tell him, but others had already done it one way or another. Especially through Kass' song.

Sighing, I looked away from him, "Well, yes. But it wasn't something I was able to tell you before someone practically did for me. With all seriousness, Link . . ." I met up with his blue eyes across the table, "If Mipha had asked you to marry her, what would you have said?"

His eyes glanced at Mipha's trident mounted on the wall. He shook his head, "I couldn't have answered her right away."

I closed my eyes as I chewed and swallowed some food. "I was rooting for her, you know. I saw her making the armor. At the time, I thought she was too shy to ask you that day, but it turned out she saw something that I was too stubborn to admit myself." Opening my eyes, I stared at the floor, "That I love you."

Tears streamed down my cheeks. I laughed as I wiped at them, "I was hoping you wouldn't hear that in a song before it came from me. It was actually quite embarrassing when Kass began singing it even when you couldn't see me." My words became jumbled as I continued to babble.

Taking a breath, I asked, "Can you put the hero's cap on?"

He blinked, surprised by the change in topic. "Sure," he said, pulling it out and fitting it onto his head.

I stood from my seat, walking over to his side of the table. His head followed where I went. Just as I promised myself, I yanked the cap over his eyes. Then, while he was blind, I kissed him before I ran straight out the door, slamming it behind me.

My feet carried me as far as the tree by the pond. I hid behind it as I heard Link coming out of the house. I didn't know why I decided to run. It was a stupid thing to do. I guess a part of me still felt guilty because of Mipha.

As my head was tucked into my knees, I felt Link sit beside me and a blanket rest over my back, protecting me from the cold night. My body tipped as I was guided closer into Link's chest. His head rested on top of mine.

"I wouldn't have given Mipha an answer because I even though loved her, I saw her as my older sister. Plus, if I remember correctly, I met you first and I was always impressed by how you carried yourself. It's like you said, courage cannot be forgotten. I think love works the same way," he said softly.

I shifted my head so it rested on his shoulder, "Really? I thought maybe you developed your feelings for me later."

I felt his chest move as he laughed, "You are the Princess and my first kiss. Of course, I had a thing for you. Lots of the knights in training did."

Sitting up some more, I looked him dead in the eyes, "Who are you and what have you done with Link? I hardly remembered kissing you on the cheek one hundred years ago! Now here you are suddenly recalling events from when you were what . . . three?"

He pressed his finger to my lips, "Don't wake up the whole village."

Gently, he took his hand away as I whispered, "And why are you being so forward?"

"Maybe because you made the first move less than five minutes ago."

A smile spread on my face, "I guess you're right. Before that, you could hardly give me an answer." I nestled back down on his shoulder, yawning, "Honestly though, I never really thought anyone was looking at me that way. I was too concerned with preventing the world from ending. No time . . . to sleep . . . under a tree."

He wrapped an arm around me as he kissed my forehead. My eyes drifted shut.

Here's some romance for you! Vote, comment, and please let me know if anything seems off