Link: the Appointed Knight

I lifted the finished skirt I made for Urbosa. I was finally finished with all of their sacred garbs. It was a great relief. Of course, one still remained. I would have to make one more for Link if he ever showed up.

Setting the skirt down by the rest of the garbs, I began to think what only time would bring. Father had countless knights down on his list that could be chosen to be my personal bodyguard. He, of course, was at the top.

Realizing that I was wasting precious time away from praying, I got up and took the Sheikah Slate with me. Because I was wearing my dress, I had nowhere to hook it onto, so I placed it in the satchel I used to keep my sewing supplies. I needed to figure out what else the slate did besides act as some scope or mirror.

Going out of my study onto the bridge, I heard strange sounds coming from down below. They had the same kind of quilty that the Sheikah Slate made. Rushing over to the edge, I looked over the railing to see Robbie, Purah, and Impa down below.

Robbie's fists were up in the air in excitement as he stared at the functioning Guardian. My mouth dropped open at the sight of it. The Guardian's head turned about as the rest of its body glowed blue.

My feet dashed forward across the rest of the bridge, wanting to get down there as fast as possible to see it up close. My maids yelled at me as I raced down the steps to my room then out the side entrance to a case of stairs outside. They tried to remind me of the tiara that was supposed to be on my head. I ran so fast that I didn't even hear the rest of their arguments.

As I turned a corner on the stairs, I tripped on my dress. I stumbled forward while clutching the strap of my satchel tightly. Thankfully, someone was coming up the stairs at that moment and caught me by the shoulders, saving what remained of my image as a princess.

When I stepped back and focused my eyes to see who they were, I was rather shocked. He stood there before me, carrying the darkness-sealing sword on his back. His blue eyes showed very little emotion.

"You," was all I got out, trying not to sound too cynical as his hands let go of my shoulders.

He didn't appear to have much of a response, but he really didn't get much of a chance. From below, we both heard an explosion, and before that, a sharp sound of what I could only guess came from the Guardian.

The two of us rushed the rest of the way down the stairs where I had last seen the Guardian. I stopped short by the last steps of the stairs, just gawking at the smoke of fire in the grass and the panicking Sheikah members. Robbie was behind a large rock with Purah and Impa as they shouted over one other about how the other screwed up.

As for him, he continued to dart forward. I watched as he got closer to the malfunctioning Guardian. It targeted a red beam of light at him, ready to fire off another blast. He seemed to know what he was doing when he rolled under the Guardian's long spider-like legs over to a cooking pot. From there, he grabbed the pot's lid and turned back around just in time to hit the blast right back at the Guardian's single eye. It collapsed and shut off immediately, smoke billowing from its head.

Robbie, Purah, and Impa slowly got out of their hiding place to look at the astonishing outcome. Just like everything else, he defeated the Guardian without a sweat. You either envied him or loved him. At that point, I knew what side I was on. And the sword on his back, well, it was only a painful reminder of how I failed that day and how he succeeded yet again.

From the bridge between my room and my study, I heard a gruff hum of approval. When I looked up, I saw Father there. I closed my eyes, as I realized what this meant. There was no way out of it. He was going to become my appointed knight.

While Robbie and Purah praised him for his bravery and skill, Impa headed over to me. I gave my best smile as I met up with her in the middle. She returned it, but it was noted that she clearly saw behind my smile.

"As you can see Princess, Robbie has been working very hard with the Guardians," she said as a joke, "I tried to warn him, but he wanted to show you as soon as possible. He would never miss a chance to impress you."

"Well, all that matters is no one got hurt," I replied as I watched some servants put out the small fire.

"Indeed," she glanced down at the slate that poked out from the satchel, "Have you gotten any further with what else the Shiekah Slate does?"

I shook my head, "Just reflecting what it sees, I'm afraid. I do have a theory. How well is Purah doing with figuring out that guidance stone?"

A true smile formed on Impa's face, "She's got it running. The Shrine of Resurrection is a different matter though."

"That's alright for now. I think what this needs is just from the stone. Are you stopping by there today by chance?"

Impa thought about it, then she said, "Princess, I do not think it's wise for you to travel anyway as of now without proper protection after what happened in Gerudo."

I placed my hand on top of hers, then brought her palm facing up. "That's why I'm giving this to you." I gave her the slate, trusting her with it more than I did with Robbie or Purah. It was still odd to think that she was the youngest among the three of them.

"I shall report back to you then," she said as I dropped my hand from hers.

"Wha!" Purah shouted as she came with Robbie following her, "You're giving Impa the slate?"

"Princess Zelda needs to fulfill her duties here. The ceremony for the Champions is within a month, which reminds me . . ." Impa's red eyes stared into mine playfully, "Don't you need to get some measurements?"

Quickly understanding what she meant, I grabbed ahold of both Purah's arms and asked, "Which way did he go?"

She glanced between Impa and Robbie until she caught on to who he was. "Towards the other set of stairs?"

I let her arms go and hurried along the path, making sure I didn't trip this time. Soon I spotted the back of his head. I just noticed that it was up in a small ponytail. Years ago, his own father wore it that way as well.

Hearing my hastened steps, he turned around. I slowed my pace and tried to act dignified to make up for my fall earlier. Before I spoke, I cleared my throat.

"I request your measures," I said only to recognize later how strange that must have sounded coming from his princess.

He didn't make any kind of movement, so I proceed by taking out the measuring string I had in the satchel. I looked him straight in the eyes as I unwinded the string to its full length.

"Stretch out your arms please."

He did. Then I moved closer, only a few inches away from him now as I wrapped the string around his torso and chest. We were both silent the entire time. What we would have talked about anyway, I don't know.

Once I got the measurements I needed, I gave a small nod, signaling that I was done. His arms slowly dropped back down to his sides. I stepped away from him, uneasy by his closeness, yet still being at a distance through emotion.

"That was all," I said, spinning back around the way I came. Then I thought of something else to say. Turning my head a little over my shoulder, I stated, "My Father will probably be wanting to see you."

After that, I walked away. I suppose my thought process was that I might as well accept that I would be working with him. I wasn't sure of it then, but I knew there had to be something deeper than a boy who could do everything. It was then that I truly wondered if he, himself, had heard the voice in the sword.

And now her mood has dropped just a little again. Poor Link, he's just worrying about everything just like she is! Anywho, vote, comment, and "Let the dream begin!" as Jason Grey would cry right about. (Studio C reference. I'm not offended if you don't know what I'm talking about)