What Does He Believe

I had been in the water of the Spring of Courage for twelve hours. Because of all the good things that had happened, I spent most of the time thanking Hylia instead of asking her to awaken my powers. I thought perhaps, the key was to be grateful instead of begging for things from her.

My mood throughout my prayer was filled with hope. Of course, then we reached midnight. That was when I got out of the water before Link would have to pull me out. As I looked down at my hands, they had become all wrinkled from the water.

Taking the towel that Link handed me, I wrapped it around my shoulders. We headed outside of the spring where we came out under the huge skull. The closest stable was still far off and I hadn't finished my whole day cycle that I usually put myself through.

"We'll rest here for two hours, then I'll get right back at it," I said, getting the blanket I had rolled up to the back of my saddle. Then I put the towel down on the hard ground while using the blanket as my cover.

I closed my eyes, but suddenly I felt something soft slide under my head. I sat up and turned to stare directly into those blue eyes I once shunned. He held my gaze.

That was when I realized I had yet to thank him and apologize for my behavior. Feeling guilty, my head looked towards the ground.

"I'm so sorry," I said, "I never . . . I never had to rely on anyone but myself. And hearing my father say that I couldn't handle myself, I just . . . I'm sorry. I wasn't myself when I said those things to you. But that is no excuse, for all my life I have seen you succeed in everything. Your father was so proud of you."

I found my courage as I looked back up at him, "And thank you, for what you did. I realize that it was your choice to accept the task of protecting me. You didn't have to do any of this. But I must ask . . . why? Why did you accept?"

He sat back against a boulder, his hands resting on his knees. I waited patiently, certain that I wouldn't get an answer. Yet I waited anyway, letting the silence between us become more comfortable than it had ever been. I didn't really need an answer.

"Because you inspired me," his voice said in a very hushed tone.

A gap opened between my lips. "Oh," I said, as I slowly stunk down on my makeshift bed.

Hearing him say that, made my guilt worse. There I had been, thinking that he despised me that entire time when it was actually the exact opposite. I didn't want to hear what I had done to inspire him. I knew it would only make me feel more shameful than I already was.

Two hours passed and I was up again. Link had fallen asleep, leaning his head back against the boulder. I didn't have the guts to wake him up from his sleepful dream. If I needed him, I'd scream. He had proven to be a very light sleeper as every other night he jumped right up like he hadn't been sleeping at all.

Going back into the spring, I brought my hands in front of my heart. "Oh Hylia, I come to you again. How wrong have I been about the chosen hero. It appears I have misjudged him and his beliefs of me. I come with not just a grateful heart like before, but a humbled one. It is a lot of me to ask, but may I gain your forgiveness for my behavior toward your chosen hero? He is a brave and kind soul that I thought badly of simply because he was perfect in all that he did. I should've been grateful to work along the side of him, but I wasn't. I dreaded it with every aching bone in my body. His eyes only reflected the failure that I was and still am."

It went on from there; I poured out my guilt and plea for repentance. Never once did I ask to gain the sacred power. I didn't deserve it at that time and I knew it. I prayed until sun up and I heard a shuffle of feet. I pretended not to notice Link was behind me as I relayed a message to him while I made it sound like I was still speaking with Hylia.