Remember Me

Link stood in the same place. Neither of us moved or said anything. I didn't even know why I asked. I had seen everything he went through, and I had faith that he would come. Yet it was so strange.

Then he took a step forward. The grass crunching under his feet. He lifted his hand slowly. I sucked in a breath as his hand neared my face. Once his fingers brushed against my skin, I was able to exhale. My arms immediately went around him as tears streamed down my cheeks.

I felt his heart beating as I held him and his warm breath on my skin. Moments passed as we stood there. Then I felt his head turn.

Into my ear, he whispered, "Thank you."

I pulled away so I could stare into his eyes, "What do you mean?"

"I was supposed to protect you," he said, dead serious.

I found myself chuckling while the tears rolled down, "And you did . . . so many times. Not just by defeating the Yiga Clan or Calamity Ganon, but you helped me with the burdens I had to carry. You've done more than anyone else. So, without asking you to complete shrines or fight monsters, I'd like to give you the best reward I can think of. I know that you have memories from when your journey as a Champion began, but the rest is still clouded. I would like to help you remember the rest of your life. As long as you agree to it. Some of it may be painful to go through, but I leave the choice to you."

It was then that I was finally able to let go of him as I stepped back to allow him to think it over. He glanced down.

"What about when we first met?" he asked.

I looked towards the castle. With my own two feet, I walked. Though I had seen the ruins of Castle Town before, the shock of seeing it in person was a little too early for me. Link followed me as I made it to the bridge.

For a while, I stared at the hollowed structure as if it were a graveyard, "Our official meeting was right here. We were around the age of seven. You had just come back from Zora Domain with your father. Your eyes always seemed to follow me wherever I went. You even caught me listening to one of my father's meetings. I can't tell you how you felt in these instances, but you always held tight to what happened around you. And it so happens, as I discovered later on due to your sharp memory, I kissed you on the cheek at my first ball before you even left for Zora Domain."

It grew quiet again. I closed my eyes, "Truthfully, I was hoping we would be able to receive some kind of sign from the Champions by coming here. A sign that they moved on, especially my father. But now as I looked at this place, it just feels . . . empty."

When I met up with Link's eyes, we both ended up staring intently at the castle. I was unsure of how long we watched before my head dropped down with disappointment. I guess the fact that none of them were there, meant they had been freed. With a nod, we turned to leave the area.

As we were walking away though, I felt something inside me stir. Like a warmth in my chest. I stopped and turned back to face the castle. It was still in the same condition as it was seconds ago. There were no spirits to wish us a sweet farewell, yet there was a different aura about the vacant castle. A smile spread across my face.

"I believe they have found peace," I whispered. Turning my whole body to Link, I blurted, "Which means you have filled my father's request! I don't want to hold you back any longer, Link. I can't do that to you. I will help you the best I can to remember what you wish to know, but after that . . . you're free to choose whatever path you wish. And--"

He cut me off, "No."

I blinked, stunned by one word, "You owe me nothing."

He shook his head, "You and I are the only ones left. Neither of us has anyone else to go to. At least . . . not anyone that would understand."