Ashes from the Mountain

Daruk asked that I stayed inside for my own safety while he got Rudania away from Death Mountain. After I gave him instructions to help him control the Divine Beast, I obliged, ready to see if perhaps I could access the other terminals while I was down there. Link stayed with Daruk on top to help him out.

Down inside the beast, I had to try and keep my balance as it shook and turned. Sometimes it turned enough that I was standing on the walls. I wondered how the other two were holding up on top of it.

Through all the turning, it actually helped me get to one of the terminals. Using the Sheikah Slate, I tried to see if it might active. I even tried to see if the slate had to be on first or facing a certain way. Nothing worked.

After perhaps an hour and once everything was facing right side up, I went back out again. However, when I reached the top, I heard Daruk's booming voice as it echoed its way across to the back end where I was at.

"I tell you what . . . sure is a blast piloting a toy like this around," he said, making me smile to myself, glad that he was getting it. "Let those other Champions know, they better eat their gravel if they wanna keep up with Daruk. Speaking of which, can you believe this view? Just look at all those delectable rocks sprinkled on those mountains. Mighty tasty."

I held in a laugh as I hid behind the doorway that led inside Rudania. As I thought about it, those mountains were like candy for Daruk. It made sense as to why he only saw it as food. I continued to listen with a smile on my face.

"I may not know a whole lot about this Calamity Ganon thing, but mark my words, I'll protect this land of ours to the death! Right, little guy?"

I heard a big swing and then a grunt of pain from Link following Daruk's laughter. I could imagine how unpleasant that was, even if I didn't see exactly what happened. A Goron packed a good punch.

"Hey, by the way . . . congrats on becoming the princess's appointed knight." My smile fell while my ears took in what Daruk would say next. "That's a really big deal! Protecting the king's daughter. No pressure!"

My heart ached. No pressure? What did that mean? It was clear that Daruk meant that the task dealt with a lot more than pressure. If Link let me get hurt, Father would grill him to the bones. On the other hand, the real pressure could have been dealing with me. Which one did Daruk mean? The answer came shortly after.

"Seriously, though. The princess is a strong personality--so strong she can't quite see the range for the peaks. Remember that, and you'll be fine."

I blinked, puzzled by what he meant and if it was a compliment or not. However, I didn't have much time to think about it as everything started to shake. I fell to my knees, using my hands for support as the tremors continued. Up above, I saw some rocks on their way down, the biggest one heading right for Daruk and Link.

As I crawled on my hands and knees toward their direction, the huge rock came upon them. Daruk quickly stood in front of it and his protective orange shield circled around him, splitting the rock into harmless pieces. I relaxed, placing my back against the doorway.

"All right, so what was I saying . . ." Daruk asked, but he had forgotten entirely. So instead he said, "That was a little strange. As far as I know, Death Mountain has been quiet for decades. But if the mountain is shivering enough to send down a bunch of boulders that size, then--"

"Then perhaps Calamity Ganon is closer than we thought," I whispered, finishing his statement to myself.

"Nevermind. Forget I said anything," Daruk finished, not facing the truth.

I stood to my feet, figuring this would be a good time to join them, considering I had an excuse to be up here again after all that shaking. After brushing myself off, I planned what I would say.

When I figured it all out, I turned only to face Link. I blinked, forgetting what I had planned. Of course, he would come to check on me after something like that. It's his job to stalk me.

"Are the two of you all right?" I finally asked. He nodded. "Good. It seems Daruk can handle himself just fine."

"You got that right, tiny princess!" Daruk said as he came over to us, "How did it go in there for you?"

"It was interesting, but nothing much came out of it," I said honestly.

"Hmm, I'm sorry to hear that. I suppose you'll have to start praying again after this, won't ya?"

I gave a disappointed nod, but then I cheered up. "I can only hope that by watching all of you succeed, perhaps it will spark something within me."

"That's all you need Princess, hope! Now let me take ya fellas off this mountain as my treat!"

The three of us went over to where Rudania's head was as it began to move again. It really was quite a beautiful sight to see as we descended towards the very bottom. When we reached the end of the line, Rudania lowered itself down so we could get off without having to jump from a great height.

"Farewell, Princess! And you too Link!" Daurk said as he rose with Rudania.

I was happy to see him acting mighty and sure of himself again. But of course, my thoughts wandered back to what he told Link. More than half of the time when men referred to a girl's emotions, it wasn't a compliment. But that wasn't like Daruk. I believed that what he was really saying was I hadn't found myself quite yet and that there were greater things to come, but I didn't believe in myself enough to see it. He would be right and it haunted me just like the dreams.

Seeing as it was mostly dark, we decided to stay at the Foothill Stables for the night. In the morning, we would have to take a short trip so I could get my white dress. Unlike when I was younger, Father had added a gold necklace and bracelets that I had to wear with it. Something about making the outfit goddess-like.

As I sank down into one of the beds at the stable, I saw that there was a small map of Hyrule on the wall. I squinted at it and saw that the man who owned the stable had been marking it up. Getting up out of bed, Link's blue eyes on me every step of the way, I went over to the map.

"What's all this for?" I asked the owner.

He grinned, "That is the locations of the shrines they've found so far. I plan to visit them soon, but everyone keeps telling me they all look the same."

I turned back to the map. Then I pulled out the Sheikah Slate to take a picture of it. The owner gasped as he saw what the slate had enabled me to do.

"Is that part of the ancient tech?" he asked, pointing to the slate.

"It is, would you like to look at it?"

He nodded. I smiled as I passed it over to him. He scanned it with his eyes, taking in every detail. His fingers trace along its designs.

"Amazing!" he said, handing it back to me. He then yawned from exhaustion. "Well, I better put the lights out. Wouldn't want this place to burn down. I am right, Link?"

"Right," he said.

There must have been some sort of backstory to that as the owner chuckled. I decided not to ask as I went back to my designated bed. Since the stables were more of a public place, I placed the Sheikah Slate under the pillow instead of setting it off to the side.

Curling the covers close to me, I glanced at the bed next to me where Link was resting. He had set his sword right by his bed since wasn't really something he could stuff under his pillow. His eyes were watching the owner as he blew out the candles, then Link's gaze dropped to mine. I shifted in the bed so I faced the other way.

I tried shutting my eyes, but I couldn't. The truth hit me hard. I was scared of going to sleep.

We all know Link plays with fire. Well, vote, comment, and I keep wanting to say subscribe, but this isn't a YouTube video! Guess for Wattpad that would actually be a follow, but that doesn't as cool. XD