The Devil Inside

Chapter 33: The Devil Inside

-

Amalia Grace Schultz walked through the door of her dorm room to find Caroline Forbes cleaning every square inch of their dorm. And when I say everything, I mean even the fireplace, which was more than enough evidence to prove that she was either having boy trouble or was going through her first mid life crisis at the age of eighteen (seventeen, if we're being technical).

"Hey, Caroline?" Amalia called out, bringing her blonde best friend to a complete stop. Caroline set the rag and the cleaner on the ground before looking back at Amalia, waiting for whatever it was she had to say next. "Were you-- Are you cleaning the fireplace?"

Caroline looked back at the fireplace once again as a puzzled look made it's way onto her face, forcing her to question her actions as well. "Yeah. Well, you know, all those carcinogens."

"O-kay." Amalia nodded her head slowly as she debated in her head whether it was safer to slowly back out of the room or calmly ask what was wrong. "For what reason?"

After a few seconds of thinking to herself in the silence of the room, Caroline finally blurted out a reason. Though there were probably far better lies she could have come up with when it came to accuracy. "Um... Spring cleaning."

"In the winter?" Amalia reminded her as she fought off the urge to laugh.

"So I'm getting a head start." Caroline replied, finding some sort of excuse that might rid of Amalia's questions.

"Nice." Amalia gave her friend a thumbs up in an attempt to be supportive of her lie and pretend as if she truly believed it. Not that anyone who wasn't gullible enough would have. After a few seconds had gone by, Amalia's phone started to ring, so she fished it out of her pocket. "Saved by the bell. Amalia's phone."

"Hey. I need a favor." Stefan spoke into the speaker of his phone and got right to the point, making sure that he wasn't wasting any time. "You know how Damon was trying to be all noble and broke up with Elena?"

"I do believe so, yes." Amalia answered, unsure of what he was getting at, but prepared to hear him out.

"Yeah. Well, I kind of convinced him he was an idiot." Stefan replied, which instantly caused Caroline to shoot up from the fireplace.

"You what?" Caroline Forbes asked, clearly not too thrilled by the news of Stefan's decision to suddenly encourage his brother to go ahead and potentially ruin Elena Gilbert's life.

"And now he's in a bit of a mood, and something tells me he's been trying to get a hold of Elena and she hasn't been returning his phone calls." Stefan explained to his girlfriend, hopeful that she would be the least bit interested in lending a hand with Damon's broken heart.