Death and the Maiden

Chapter 28: Death and the Maiden

-

Memories come and memories go. That's a given. Some things you're not meant to remember forever. For instance, your first birthday party. Sure, it happened, and you know it happened-- You may even have a picture to prove it. But somehow, your brain has buried it so deeply that any recollection of it  has been thrown out the window. Either way, memories still come, and everyday, memories still go. Although for Stefan Salvatore, they were a bit on the come side that day in particular.

"Rise and shine, Stefan Salvatore." Amalia Schultz pulled on the curtains in opposite directions, opening them, and forcing a light to shine through, waking him up in the process. "Good morning, sleepyhead. I come bearing coffee."

"Coffee sounds great right now." Stefan itched the back of his head as his eyes adjusted. He watched as she walked over to him and set the cup in his hand, sitting right in front of him and staring at him with those doe-eyed hazel eyes he loved so much. "So, uh, what's with the wake-up call?"

"Well, it might be an apology." Lia laughed nervously as if she had no idea what she was going to say to him herself. "I've been pushing you to remember things that you're probably never going to remember, and I'm sorry about that. It's just been a little hard for me to get used to you not knowing who I am. And yeah, I miss the Stefan that I used to know, but I'm hoping the new Stefan will give me a chance to be friends. So, what do you say about a fresh start?"

"I was driving to Portland the night I took Silas to the quarry. I said goodbye to Lexi and then I was planning on coming back for you." Stefan leaned back into the bed, surprising her.

"Uh, how do you know that? Wha--" She had multiple questions she had been dying to ask him, but wasn't sure about.

"My memories are back." Stefan announced, cutting her off.

"You're messing with me, right? Did Damon plan this?" Amalia was quick to blame everything on the oldest Salvatore as she had caught the idea that he would have gone to those lengths for a simple prank. Which, honestly, he might've. But not this time.

"Tessa came here last night, and she undid whatever spell fried my brain, and it's all back. I can remember everything." The events of the night before played inside of Stefan's brain on a constant loop, pinching at his heart and reminding him of every last bit of pain he had endured throughout the summer.

"So you remember who I am?" She asked him as she tried to fight her hopes as a way of refusing to let them up in case they would only just sink again.

"Yeah. I remember you." Stefan clarified, causing her to wrap his arms around him and pull him as close as possible to her.

She pulled away from the hug and just looked at him, unable to keep off the smile on her face. "Okay, then."

✰✰✰