While You Were Sleeping

Chapter 37: While You Were Sleeping

-

Heartbreak: Such a simple word, yet so complex. Saying it out loud takes a second, but the feeling of it feels like a lifetime. The stages of heartbreak are quite similar to those of grieving-- Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and of course, acceptance. During said stages it's easy to fall into the patterns of your peers, even if you never would have imagined doing so before. More specifically, changes with your hair...

"Would you look who it is?" Damon Salvatore stated from inside of the cell he was being held in, looking up at Amalia as she stood outside of it, taking in the change in her appearance. "With new hair, too. What, one breakup with my baby bro calls for a midlife crisis?"

"Ha-ha." Amalia rolled her eyes at him as she brought a hand to her hair, feeling the short length once again for herself. "It was time for a change, anyway."

"I see." Damon nodded his head without managing to either compliment or offend her. "And your first stop on the vampire express was to see me?"

"Thought I'd stop by and check up on my favorite prisoner." She admitted, though they both knew it was her first time entering the Salvatore Boarding House since everything with his brother had happened. And the only reason she was there then was because Whitmore was on spring break and the youngest Salvatore wasn't there.

"How kind of you to lend me your company for however long this visit lasts." Damon saluted her, thanking her for blessing him with her presence, though he had no idea how long it would last.

"Depends on how long Stefan's gone." She answered, which he could have easily predicted.

"You and my baby bro still not talking?" He asked her, and she just shook her head. The breakup may have been Stefan's idea, but the cut of communication had been Amalia's. "Don't you think you've made him suffer enough?"

"This isn't me trying to make him suffer. This is me trying to forget that he broke up with me by completely ignoring his existence." She shrugged her shoulders as the room fell silent, giving her time to choose her next words wisely. "It's very effective."

"And yet somehow you know where he is at all times." Damon found it odd that Amalia knew exactly when to come, and when not to come.
Especially since Stefan had spent the majority of the week holed up in his room grieving their lost relationship, just as she was.

"I have a few loyal spies." Amalia replied as his phone began to ring in her hand, so she took a look at it before pressing the answer button and bringing it to her ear. "Damon's phone."