Fade Into You

Chapter 48: Fade Into You

-

Rising from the dead was an idea many played with, wondering if they would reincarnate or what the afterlife would entail for them, seeming to be something of a fairytale. It was something universally questioned and dreamed about, even. Until it was a reality one had to face. One in which you were left to worry about all you had left, and all you had to return to.

Amalia Grace Schultz approached the entrance that led to her dorm room, allowing her ears to catch onto the voices of Caroline Forbes and Elena Gilbert almost immediately, forcing her to eavesdrop on what their conversation had consisted of thus far. As she listened to the two girls practice of what was soon to be Elena's sudden revelation of being a vampire for someone Amalia wasn't sure of, she couldn't help but gather the faintest smile at the sound of Caroline's criticism of how the brunette had emphasized her words, bringing a warm feeling in her chest as she thought of everything remaining the same as it had been as she had left, yet so different as well.

"I'm," Elena paused, giving herself a few seconds of what seemed to be a silent drum roll before finishing the rest of her sentence, "a vampire. I mean, there's only so many ways you can say it."

Before the blonde could intervene, Amalia twisted the knob on the door, pushing through it and entering the room at last, letting all four eyes in the room land on her frame. "Eh, maybe a little less dramatic, but at the same time not too casual because that could scare whoever he is off."

It looked as if the Forbes' eyes might have damn near popped out of their sockets right then and there, shocking her by what she assumed was her eyes playing a simple trick on her. "You see her too, right?"

"I can hear you, Caroline. And I sure hope she can see me or else this whole coming back to life thing wouldn't have been too worth it." Amalia replied, letting the words leave her lips along with a chuckle at their faces, resisting the urge to make fun of them as their jaws almost fell to the floor.

Elena's eyes trailed over to Caroline quickly before falling back onto Amalia, her eyebrows furrowing as the reality of the situation set in, allowing her to realize she was nowhere near dreaming. "This isn't possible. Damon said you were dead."

Amalia rolled her eyes at the words, not even the slightest bit shocked at the excuses Damon had made for being the only one of the three to return. "Yeah, well, Damon's a big fat liar. I mean, I was dead, but I wasn't like dead dead. It was a very odd situation."

"Oh, my god." Caroline breathed out as she shot up from her side of the bedroom, engulfing the much shorter girl into a hug as the other brunette in the room followed behind her, repeating her exact actions.