Rescue Me

Chapter 38: Rescue Me

-

As they had embarked on their short trip to Atlanta, Enzo and Amalia had made a little pit stop along the way to a tiny little cafe. Enzo, of course, had attempted at a conversation dozens of times-- To which Amalia would either reply with a nod or not at all. And as he had nearly given up, waiting for an opportunity where he thought she might be in better sprits than before, he was interrupted with the ring of his phone.

"Atlanta assassination squad. How may we be of service?" He answered it with a joke, earning an eye roll from the girl in front of him.

"I take it you haven't located the doppelgänger yet?" Sloan asked, though it appeared to be more of a statement than a question. And her tone was in it's usual state of I'm far better than you as it had been since the moment they had all been in contact with one another.

"You told us to find a nameless paramedic at the scene of a car accident in a city of freeways, fried green tomatoes and terrible drivers. It's not exactly as easy as it sounds." Enzo replied, but with the way he worded it, it didn't sound easy at all. In fact, he made it seem as if it was quite impossible.

"Which is why I'm calling.. the doppelgänger's name is Tom Avery. And I just saw him deliver a patient to Atlanta Metropolitan Hospital." Sloan was able to deliver more intel, being sure not to mention how exactly she was able to gather more information.

"She did the vision thing again?" Amalia groaned before swiping the phone out of Enzo's hands, bringing it directly to her ear. "I'm sorry. We had a deal. I find Stefan's last living doppelgänger."

"Tom." Sloan's voice popped back up to correct her on his name.

"Yes. Tom. Anyway, I find Tom, and I... keep my promise. And you don't touch Stefan. That includes keeping him away from any creepy-traveler-rituals that could fry his brain." Amalia reminded the woman of her own end of the deal... the one she had repeatedly broken since Enzo and Amalia set foot off the property.

"I don't give a damn about his brain. It's his blood that matters. And until Stefan and Elena are the last two doppelgängers on Earth, their blood is useless to me. So you better believe I'll give Stefan a back alley lobotomy if you fail to kill Tom Avery." Sloan threatened the girl yet again, causing the pace of her heart beat to rise as she felt her cheeks tint a dark red, signifying just how angry she was.

"Good thing I won't. And if I were you, I'd stop screwing with his brain because I will gladly kill you too." Amalia finished off the conversation, ensuring that her voice wasn't at too loud a volume before ending the call and carelessly rolling Enzo's phone on to the table in front of her.