Memorial

Chapter 09: Memorial

-

Twenty four hours can change anything and everything. One doesn't normally think anything of it, mostly because twenty four hours is only one day of your life, which, in Amalia's case, was eternal. But in hindsight, anything can happen in that small fraction of anyone's life. Good or bad. Anything.

Amalia stood in front of the island inside of the kitchen at the Salvatore Boarding House, whisk in hand as she whipped the batter for pancakes. Damon had brought her there so he and Stefan could keep an eye on her, worried of what she might do now that the last piece of her humanity had disappeared into thin air. Now that she had nothing holding her back from removing all of it and becoming someone they could only imagine would be their worst nightmare.

"What the hell are you doing?" Damon Salvatore walked into the kitchen, cocking an eyebrow at the sight of her cooking in the kitchen they had used a total of one time in their lives.

"I'm making pancakes. You like pancakes, right? Of course you do. Everyone likes pancakes." She responded, her voice moving at a faster pace as normal as she frantically circled the whisk in her hand.

Damon walked closer to her, setting his hand on her wrist and stopping her from continuing her coping mechanism. "Stop."

She looked up at him, noticing the worry he carried for her. She slipped out her tongue, sliding it across her bottom lip before letting out a sigh altogether. "I'm fine."

"Really? 'Cause this," he motioned towards the scene of her attempt to cook, which she certainly wasn't too gifted at, that was happening before him inside of his own house, "doesn't look like you're fine."

"I'm making breakfast." She announced once again, resisting the pain that kept trying to crawl inside of her, "I'm fine. Everything is fine. Now, sit down and wait for breakfast to be served."

✰✰✰

Amalia's eyes stared up at the large cross at the very center of the church, seated still in the middle of one of the pews, attempting to drown out the pain that wouldn't seem to go away. Her heart was broken, shattered into a million tiny pieces that she felt she could look onto the ground and see with her own two eyes. She could see a body approach her and take a seat beside her out of her peripheral vision, snaking their arm around her shoulders and pulling her closer to them... to him. She inhaled deeply, fighting the tears that were trying to force their way to her eyes with all she had.

"Why are you here, Stefan?" She whispered, her volume at it's lowest point. She slowly lifted her eyes up, focusing them on his profile as she waited for his voice to play through her ears.