Epilogue

Epilogue

-

THE WORD AROUND THE UNIVERSAL GRAPEVINE IS THAT TIME HEALS ALL WOUNDS— That if you wait just long enough, the pain will fade away into thin air right before your own eyes. And one day, looking back on the pain you once felt will feel as if it was all a dream. And that might have been true. Although it had seemed to be more of a myth than it did as a truth. Pain might fade in time, but the bruise it leaves may never disappear. But before the wound bruises over, it's easy to find yourself wrapped in the time as you wait. Every second feels to be a minute, every hour a day. And every month slowly became a year.

Stefan Salvatore had been sitting in the middle of his bedroom, on the comforter that had topped off the white of his sheets. His journal was sitting on the core of his lip, his eyes scanning the void of the page for what had felt like ages. And though there were plenty of thoughts that filled his mind, his hands were unable to print a single word onto it. Months had gone by, yet the reminder of his pain had felt like he was hitting some sort of button that reset it all. Although he was slowly figuring it out, bringing himself back to the way his life was before her.

Without so much as a knock on the door, Damon Salvatore walked through the threshold of his bedroom, taking his brother's attention from the journal way almost immediately. His eyes caught onto a simple envelope that his brother held, creating millions of thoughts of what the envelope held inside of it in his brain.

"Hello, little brother." Damon greeted the boy as it was his first time catching his eye since he had left his brother to be in Mystic Falls himself, taking some time off himself as he had lost someone as well. He held the envelope in the air, shaking it a little as if it were a prize of some sort. "You've got mail."

Taking it from his brother's hands in an instant, the Salvatore looked down at the white envelope, scanning the words that were written on top of it and bringing the beat of his pulse to a stop. "What is this?"

"Oh, come on, Stef. You know what it is." Damon replied in an attempt to lighten the mood, despite knowing that in that moment, not one single joke could have changed any of what it was. "It's from her." Stefan looked up at his brother once again, a sense of confusion in his eyes. "She asked me to give it to you."

Stefan nodded his head as there wasn't a thing for him to say. His eyes fell back onto the envelope, almost bringing him comfort as he was aware of how she had been the last one in possession of it before his brother, feeling as if it brought them closer once again. Almost as if he could feel her touch through the thin sheet of paper. As he looked up once again, he found that he was now the only one of the room, leaving him to debate on whether or not he wanted to open it, aware that whatever it was he read, no matter what had been said between them in the past, those were the last words she would ever say to him.

He slid the seal open slowly, pulling out the folded sheet of paper that had been trapped inside for months. Inhaling a sharp breath beforehand, he undid the folds of the paper, allowing his eyes to meet the words that had been written on top.