Original Sin

Chapter 25: Original Sin

-

The moment it had become clear to them that Stefan Salvatore was roaming the earth, hungry and ripper-y (which was not the version of him that should ever wander around without a pair of eyes watching over him), Amalia assumed that they would take matters into their hands and search for him relentlessly. But oh, how wrong she could be. Instead, they had slept with eyes closed and peace running through the air as if there wasn't a pressing issue in which Stefan was waiting to be found.

Though the moment both doppelgängers had experienced the same dream where Stefan burned outside of a random bar that none of them had even heard of, the search party for him had been put back right on top of their to-do list. And so Damon, Elena, Katherine, and Amalia all sat inside of Damon's rather tiny Camaro as he drove to Route 29, aka their destination. Of course, Elena had been seated in the front (one of the perks of doing Damon Salvatore on a daily basis, I suppose) and Amalia was left in the back of the car, right next to the woman she arguably disliked the most in the world: Katherine Pierce.

"You sure you know what you're looking for? Last bar had a red awning and a neon sign." Though the doppelgängers had had the same dream, Damon mostly focused on his girlfriend when it came to asking the questions.

"I'll know when I see it." Elena nodded, confident that the moment she laid eyes on the bar her dream was located at, she would know that they were in the right place and that it would eventually lead to the youngest Salvatore.

"Me, too." Katherine popped her head in-between the two of them, which annoyed pretty much everyone in the vehicle. Besides Katherine, of course.

"He didn't ask you." Amalia rolled her eyes at the five hundred year old human, which was something she never thought could exist... ever. But apparently, with the lives they lived, anything was possible. Anything.

"I'm just trying to make conversation. Anything to drown out the sound of eggshells breaking. So, Elena, I couldn't help but overhear. You've been dreaming about Stefan all summer? That must be really stressful on a new relationship, especially when you're having those kinds of dreams lying in bed next to his brother." Katherine snickered to herself before glancing over at Amalia. "Or maybe even a friendship. You know, since Lia is Stefan's woman of the week these days."

"They weren't dreams. It was just a bad feeling. Like something wasn't right with him." Elena corrected the oldest Petrova in the car, but Katherine still didn't seem to get the point.

"Oh, no, yeah, sure. I totally get it. There's still a connection between you two. Maybe deep down you know that he was your one true love and breaking up with him was a big mistake." Katherine's attempt to get under Damon's attempt was working, not that he or Elena would ever admit it.

"Ignore her. As soon as the vervain's out of her system, we'll compel her and we'll put her on mute." Damon looked over at his girlfriend and assured her that soon enough they would no longer have to endure the sound of Katherine's voice on a constant loop.