Gone Girl

Chapter 36: Gone Girl

-

Love: It can either make you, or it can break you. Sometimes both. Though the tricky thing with love is it can take two months or longer to make someone, but two seconds to break them into a thousand pieces. It's easy to do so, really. All it takes is a single word. Or maybe three, if we're being technical to this situation.

"That's great, Stefan. Tell me, should I get Not Elena tattooed on my forehead so you can learn to decipher whose who, or is that too much?" Amalia was fuming, to say the least. It was almost as if you could see smoke blaring out of her ears as she walked through the Salvatore Boarding House, allowing her boyfriend (though that term was a little loose) to follow from behind her, repeating every step she took.

"She kissed me." Stefan called out from behind, completely aware that in that moment, it probably wasn't the best thing he could have said. In fact, he found himself wondering if taking in every word she said and just apologizing would have had a better outcome than the one he was experiencing.

"Oh, well when you put it that way, I feel much better. You know, I can't believe I actually thought that you would choose me. But it always comes down to Elena, doesn't it? Whether it's one year ago or now, it's always gonna be Elena." A couple of months before she wouldn't have even let the thought cross her mind, but times had changed from then.

"That's not true." Stefan denied it, but standing where he was, he knew it was no use. No matter what he said, true or not, none of it mattered.

She stopped in her tracks as she processed every word he had said thus far, finally turning around to face him in the dead center of his living room. "Well, your actions say otherwise."

"I don't want to be with Elena. I want to be with you." He seemed to be saying that a lot lately, and that was one thing she couldn't stand. And it was one thing she wasn't sure if she could even believe anymore.

"It's funny. You say that. You put my hand on your heart and you say, I'm not lying. You're the one I want to be with, and look where it got us." She was able to throw out yet another example of a broken promise he had made. He had promised her that she had nothing to worry about. He had told her that nothing was going to happen between him and Elena. And yet, it still did.

"And I was telling you the truth." His voice had raised and it was easy to tell that not only was he having to defend himself, but he was angry about having to do so as well. Even if he had put himself into a position where he had to defend himself.

"I love you. Only you." She reminded him of yet anorther thing he had said to her, "Nothing's gonna happen. I asked you if it was all in my head, and you promised me that it was."