Growing Pains

Chapter 08: Growing Pains

-

Things hadn't gone to plan, to say the least. Somehow, in only twelve hours time, Matt and Elena had gotten themselves into a car accident, Elena had risen from the dead, Alaric had passed away, etc. It was a lot for their minds to handle overnight , but still, they found a way to move past it.

Stefan and Amalia stood in the kitchen of the Gilbert residence in complete silence. Neither of them had said a word, neither of them were going to.

Amalia looked down at her hands for a second, embracing the quiet atmosphere, "So..."

"So..." Stefan knew what their conversation was going to lead to. He had been avoiding it since the moment Elena ended up in that hospital room, but he knew he couldn't avoid it for much longer.

"She chose you." Amalia looked up at him, meeting his eyes.

"Yeah." Stefan nodded as he thought about what he was going to do in the situation where he had feelings for not one, but two girls. Two girls that he cared about more than anything.

"What does that mean..." Amalia hesitated with that question in particular, but she knew it was a question she deserved to know the answer to, "for us?"

"I don't know."

✰✰✰

The doorbell to the Gilbert household rang, causing every last one of them to freeze as they all stood in the kitchen area. None of them knew who it could be or why they were ringing the doorbell, seeing as barely anyone ever rang it rather than just walking into the household.

"I'll get it," Amalia spoke up finally before walking over to the door, her face falling the second her eyes registered who was standing in front of her, "Dad?"

"Amalia Grace," He didn't even question whether or not he could enter the household, walking past her before she could even so much as ask why he was there, "You all need to leave."

"What are you doing here?" Amalia asked, still confused by what had led him there.

"The council..." Jeff trailed off, looking back at his daughter and meeting her eyes, "You all need to leave now."

"Why?" Stefan asked before every last one of their questions was answered by the door to the household opening without warning.

"Jeff..." Pastor Young immediately looked over at Amalia's father, disappointed that he had seemed to show up before they did, "You shouldn't be here."