I Never Could Love Like That

Chapter 56: I Never Could Love Like That

-

MORTALS ARE MEANT TO SOAK UP EVERY LAST BIT OF LIFE THEY HAVE LEFT UNTIL THEY DIE, it's the way of the world. Vampires, however, don't have that same problem. They're immortal-- Well, as far as immortality can go. Although, in some cases, immortality doesn't last as long as expected, and they're soon met with the reality of what it feels like to be mortal once again.

Amalia Grace Schultz happened to be one of those few cases-- immortality disappearing, replacing itself with the fatal fact of mortality. As for how she was spending her first few moments of her life, she stood in the center of Damon Salvatore, listening in on his pleads not to mention her newfound humanity to his girlfriend, confusing her.

"What do you mean, don't tell her?" Amalia asked, crossing her arms over her chest and raising an eyebrow at the eldest Salvatore, keeping her voice at the lowest volume possible to avoid any eavesdroppers-- AKA, Elena Gilbert.

"I mean, let's just just keep it to ourselves for now," Damon suggested, shrugging his shoulders in hopes that she would comply. He noticed the judgment on her face, rolling his eyes in response, "Oh, like you're one to judge, Ms. I want the cure and I don't care if Stefan's off the rails,"

Annoyed at the reminder, Amalia reacted by nudging him in the stomach, sending him a glare, "Just so you know, I may be human, but I still have a hell of a backhand."

"Noted," Damon formed his lips into a line, not taking her threat as lightly as he might a couple of years prior.

✰✰✰

Amalia traced her steps into the kitchen area, finally revealing the room in which the counter was completely spread with different foods and treats, all of which had been the doing of Lily Salvatore. Her eyes widened for a moment, confused by the covering of the room before her eyes flickered over to the table, finding Damon and Elena sitting across from his mother. If she hadn't known any better, she almost would have believed them to be the image of the happiest family, but she did know better. Enough to know that that couldn't have been the case in the slightest.

She cleared her throat as she noticed all of their eyes on her, making her way to the seat at the end of the table before sliding into it, "Sorry, I didn't realize you were all down here," she then looked over at the eldest woman, sending her a sweet smile, "This looks amazing, Lily."

"Thank you," Lily grinned back at her before returning her eyes to the plate in front of her, digging her fork into the eggs she had prepared herself.