What Lies Beneath

Chapter 40: What Lies Beneath

-

Things had taken quite the turn in Mystic Falls, or rather, at Whitmore. It had started off with something as simple as a couple of friends studying whilst binge drinking lattes, and ended with quite the blood bath. Literally... although that wasn't so apparent to everyone in the group. And so they had all decided to take a vacation to Caroline Forbes' cabin, secluded from everyone they knew.

Stefan, Caroline, Elena, and Amalia all drove up to the cabin, silence filling the car with nearly every mile it took to get there. As they all opened their doors and set foot onto the property, Stefan Salvatore stole a glance at his ex-girlfriend, watching as all she did was walk away from him and up to the cabin, leaving him to grab onto her luggage.

Though assuming the two had gone un-noticed apparently wasn't the brightest idea, seeing as Caroline Forbes quickly sent the boy a look before following after her friend. "What's up with you two?"

Amalia's head snapped back to look at the blonde, her eyes filled with an indecipherable look. "Nothing," she replied, hoping that it would be enough for Caroline to drop the conversation.

Caroline shrugged her shoulders, obliging, before turning her head around to look back at Stefan and Elena. Staring at them for a few seconds and taking in how close they seemed to be with each other, she brought her eyebrows to a furrow. "What's going on with them?"

As Amalia's eyes caught onto the two of them, her lips formed into a line, not even bothering to conceal her clear disappointment. "I don't know."

✰✰✰

Stefan Salvatore walked into the bedroom Amalia had been assigned to, bag in hand, without even so much as a knock on her door. Her skin jumped at the sound of the door closing, snapping her head back to look at him, and letting a sigh leave her mouth as her eyes registered who it was.

"You, uh, left this in the car." He swung the suitcase over his shoulder, setting it down on her bed easily.

She brought a hand up and grabbed onto a loose strand of hair, pinning it behind her ear. "Oh. Thanks."

"Yeah." He nodded his head slowly for a second. And as it looked like he was due to turn around and walk away, he didn't. He stayed put, eyes scanning the room as if anything inside of it could give them something to talk about.

She crossed her arms over her chest, clearing her throat as she did so to grab onto his attention once again. Which, as she assumed it would, brought his eyes back on her. "You know, if you just stand there and say nothing for another five seconds I might go insane."