The Downward Spiral

Chapter 54: The Downward Spiral

-

MOMENTS ARE FLEETING, always passing by and replacing themselves over and over. Memories, however, are permanently etched in your brain, regardless of the ones you ache to remember or the ones you pray to forget. However, emotions are impossible to escape— Grief, sadness, happiness, love, anger, etc. And while you may wish they were numb, the numb only replaces a heart that was already empty to begin with.

Amalia paced around her bedroom as she listened in as Stefan Salvatore went through Caroline Forbes' entirely, taking in how it was nothing but empty. Her phone was on speaker, allowing Elena Gilbert to listen in on the phone call as well as she was seated on her body, equally as stressed.

"It's like she never lived here," Elena agreed with Stefan as she looked over at Caroline's side of their dorm room, which the blonde had completely taken apart as well, "How's her house?"

"Totally empty. Caroline took everything but the damn doors off their hinges," Stefan answered their question, begging the question of not only where was she, but why had she left?

"Okay, so she turned off her humanity, and what? Went to Cabo?" Amalia asked, springing for a simple guess on the Forbes' whereabouts.

"I mean, she took all of her clothes, and thank you notes, and just left town? That makes no sense," Elena added as she searched their dorm room desperately for any sign of something their friend may have left behind.

"This is coming from the girl who burned her house down," Stefan replied, pointing out the past, which honestly, was quite a valid point for him to make.

"Do you think she's trying to cut off ties from her past?" Elena asked her ex-boyfriend, hoping that he would be able to give her an opinion she saw fit.

"I certainly don't think she's having a yard sale, Elena," Stefan retorted, annoyed by how thoughtless Elena's question had been.

"Okay. Why are you getting mad at me? I'm not the one who did this," the doppelgänger asked, confused by her ex-boyfriend's sudden desire to rip away at her.

"I know. I'm sorry," he apologized at last, his tone seeming to be a mix of an apology and one of stress.

"Okay. Well, I'm gonna go look around campus, so... call me if either of you two losers find anything," Amalia cut into the conversation, volunteering to be one to look around for any sign at all.

"Alright. I will," Stefan assured her before hanging up the phone, causing Amalia to bring it down at last and place it in the back pocket of her jeans