True Lies

Chapter 24: True Lies

-

It's the moments that feel so simple that you remember the most. Most people may consider the moments that aren't as life changing as less important, but it couldn't be further from the truth. Those are the times that matter... the times that make you glad to be alive. The simplicity of them is what makes them shine out from the rest, reminding you just of how content you are with your life.

Amalia's head laid on top of Stefan Salvatore's chest, allowing her ear to listen in on the sound of his heart beating. She brought her hand under her head, propping it up so she was able to look back at him. "We could be doing anything right now, Stefan. Be anywhere. Why here? Why this?"

He planted a kiss at the top of her head, watching as she scrunched her nose up afterward, just as she always did. "These are the good moments...the simple ones, the ones that matter. These are the moments that keep me from falling apart."

Amalia leaned up towards him and pecked his lips quickly as if it was a habit. "This can't last forever, you know. You're just distracting yourself."

Just as the words left her mouth, water began to pour out of it, causing her to choke, drowning her within seconds. Stefan panicked, unsure of what he could do to stop it. And so he quickly lifted her body, but was instantly drawn out of the imagination himself, forcing him to come to terms with the fact that she wasn't the one that was drowning. He was.

✰✰✰

Caroline Forbes and Amalia Schultz had been spending what seemed to be the entirety of their morning unpacking the rest of their things, seeing as they had gotten a little distracted with the death of their roommate and forced to put it off until further notice. The door to their dorm room opened once again, allowing Elena Gilbert to walk through it.

"Megan's memorial outside is growing." Elena informed them as she had been the last one of them to see it. Though all of them were aware of it's existence.

"Ugh, college kids are so dramatic. She was on campus for, like, one day. She couldn't have made that many friends." Caroline replied with a hint of jealousy in her voice for the attention Megan was receiving.

"Caroline, she's dead." Amalia pointed out, hinting at the blonde that it was time she stop competing with Megan every damn second of the day.

"Sorry. I'm in a mood." Caroline sighed out of frustration and it was clear that whatever it was that was bothering her, she was dying to get it out.

"You talked to Tyler?" Elena asked.

"He's deferring from enrolling and deferring from returning my phone calls, so I'm deferring from having sex with him ever again."