Into the Wild

Chapter 16: Into the Wild

-

While most of the group had already set sail on their mini vacation to Nova Scotia, they had left behind only a few of their friends. It wasn't for the purpose of exclusion, but because there really was no purpose for them being there to begin with. And then there was Amalia Schultz, who had made it her choice not to attend their voyage. The reason why, however, was unknown to everyone but her.

Due to her refusal to take part in the trip, she was given the task of babysitting Klaus Mikaelson. Usually, one would see it as a rather simple job. However, babysitting an Original Vampire was nothing of the sort.

Her body was laid across the couch, magazine in hand as her eyes scanned over the meaningless words written on the pages. There wasn't much to do besides indulge in all of the drama the celebrities of the world had to offer while babysitting the oldest man the world had to offer. Thus, that's all she had been doing throughout the first twelve hours of her shift.

Klaus had let out several complaints overnight, to which Amalia had ignored and carried on with her own activities. But as the hours went on, the amount of complaining he did would multiply, which made it harder and harder for her to ignore. "Complaining won't get you out of here, you know."

"That's easy for you to say when you can leave at your own free will." Klaus replied as he fidgeted with something that appeared to be a coin between two of his fingers. "Why are you here, anyway? Shouldn't you be off curing vampirism like the rest of your entourage?"

"Because I thought about it, and decided that I would much rather spend time with you." Amalia rolled her eyes sarcastically as she closed the magazine she had been reading and set it down on her lap.

"No, that's not it. There's another reason." He wasn't sure what it was, but he did know that she was keeping something from everyone. And maybe even herself.

"Right. I must have forgotten you seem to know everything about me." She retorted. As she went back to pick up her magazine again, his voice popped up, stopping her.

"Not at all. I just know your little tells." He responded, which she had to admit did spark a bit of interest in her.

"My tells?" She cocked an eyebrow, eager to hear more.

He nods. "Mhm. When you're keeping something from someone, you get defensive. When you're mad or even sad, you make jokes so people can't see through you. And finally, when you're around me, you force yourself to remember every bad thing I've ever done so that you won't feel something for me." Klaus was able to read her so well that it honestly scared her a bit. Sure, there were people that knew most everything about her, but he knew everything front to back without even knowing anything at all.