8. Nathan

Nathan

I was sent back home. Dr. Gerald said it would be like a vacation. But I knew better. I am screwed unless they find evidence of my innocence. I had no choice but to trust Dr. Harper though, I needed to be patient and wait for his call, I couldn't get suspended in my senior year, not when I have been the top student all these previous years.

Anyway.

Since I am not okay with my parents finding out about my current situation at University, I had no choice but to stay the first two weeks at somewhere where I won't have to encounter my parents a lot, since I'm not very good at lying to my parents. I'm actually very bad at lying generally. And telling them about my little problem will make them worry about me even more.

So here I was knocking on the door of Jessie's apartment, hoping I can clear my mind while I stay here and wait for my professors' to call me. After knocking just once, the door cracked open and I was suddenly engulfed in a very tight hug, I didn't see the attacker's face but I was hundred percent sure this person hugging me was none other than Rachel.

"Oh my god, Nathan. I missed you... I missed you... I missed you..."She kept saying. I smiled to myself, she doesn't change I guess, she's the same as she was since I last left to Florida.

"I missed you too, girl!" I mumbled, she pulled away slowly, then I was able to glance at her face, she had dyed her hair (again) red, otherwise she looked pretty as always.

"Come in!" She said, while reaching out for my luggage, it was too heavy for her but she still managed to carry it inside, of course moaning and grunting all the while she was dragging it along with her. I chuckled, and followed her inside. I hadn't been here that much, but I remembered the apartment was very tidy and cozy when I was here, since Jessie liked to tidy her apartment, she was very organized even more than me, to the point of being annoying.

But the state of the apartment was not that good at the moment, Rachel's books and some other papers were all over the place. The kitchen's condition was not that good too, there were dirty dishes in the sink, spilled coffee on the table and don't even let me start with how the oven looked.

"Umm... Why is it so messy here?" I asked, Rachel handed me a cup of Nescafé, which I gladly took. Then sat down on the chair opposite to me with another cup in her hand.

"Well, my exams are right after the Christmas holiday, and I am studying for them," Rachel said as she started to drink her Nescafé "I don't have time to do housework, or even tidy my own room."

"I'm not surprised." I muttered under my breath, she glared at me, so I pressed my lips together, trying hard not to smile.

"Why did you come back this soon though? I thought you guys were busy with research and stuff like that?" She asked, I managed to have a blank expression and stare right at her eyes when I lied to her.

"I just missed my family, is that a crime?" I said.

"Are you saying that you took permission?!" She asked sounding surprised.

"I did..."

Rachel's jaw nearly dropped to the floor, so I put my finger under her chin and pushed it upwards.

"You... never take permission. Even when you get sick..." she mumbled, I sighed and closed my eyes from frustration, I seriously have had enough stress already, I couldn't take it anymore.

"Are you not happy to see me?" I asked her as calmly as I could manage, it worked since she shrugged and smiled at me.

"Of course I'm happy to see you!" She exclaimed "Will you stay with me and Jessie this time?"

"For now yes." I replied, thankfully she dropped the subject, letting me live in peace for a while.

"Cool!" Rachel said happily and looked at me adoringly.

I finished drinking the cup of Nescafé, and put it in the sink beside all the other dirty dishes, Rachel brought her empty cup too and put it in the sink.

I opened the water tap, grabbed the sponge and put some dish soap on it, and then I started washing the dishes one by one.

"Aaahhh... My big brother is back to being cool." Rachel said and giggled. She used to tell me I'm girl's type, I didn't know that love has types too.

"Well... You aren't trying to be cool at all, so someone must be don't you think?" I said with raised eyebrows. She blushed from embarrassment and muttered something under her breath which I didn't quite understand.

"Where's Jessie?" I asked,

"She's probably with Emma, studying for her coming exam." She answered.

"I see." I mumbled as I continued washing the dishes. Soaking, scrubbing, and then rinsing.

I continued doing that, until all the dishes were clean and bright, then I grabbed a piece of clothing and smelled it to check if it's clean, Rachel rolled her eyes and told me it's clean. So I started drying the dishes with the cloth.

"Did you tell Dave to do my report?" Rachel asked out of nowhere.

"I didn't tell him. He offered and I accepted." I replied, grabbing one of the cups next to dry cups.

"Why?"

"What do you mean why? He's a good person that's why."

"He's not."

"He is, Rachel. Just because someone is not good looking, it doesn't mean they're bad people."

"He is stupid, lazy, and a loser."

"He is one of the top three students, his name comes right after mine, and you call him stupid?"

Rachel bit her lip and got quiet for a few seconds, she opened her mouth to reply but I didn't her.

"What about you, Rachel? You don't even do your own reports. I think you should rethink about who is the actual loser."

My sister looked hurt, but I didn't take back my words. I just defended my friend and not my sister, I'm fully aware of that. But Rachel needed to change the way she thought and saw people. If I and my parents kept being kind to her, she would keep getting spoiled. Even more spoiled than she already was.

Dave is not stupid, or lazy, or a loser. He's kind. He's being called stupid because he's naive, and has the purest and kindest heart which most people don't have. Dave is simple. Unlike the majority of the world's people. Dave offered to do Rachel's report because he is kind, not because he's stupid. While my parents are somehow rich, we can afford to live happily and just the way we want. Dave only has his mother to support him. And their financial condition is not that good. But Dave got a scholarship and he is studying in the University of Florida, just like me. So he is most certainly not a lazy person too.

Rachel is very kind hearted, but she misunderstands and judges people very quickly and easily, despite her craziness and stupidity I still love her and will protect her no matter what.