22. Nathan

Nathan

There was no call from Dr. Harper until even Christmas. What is he doing for god's sake? And what's the dean doing? God I feel like I have committed a terrible crime, and it's not decided that I should go to hell or heaven. This is a different case though. I haven't committed any crimes. I was very careful, I took good care of the laboratory, like it's my dorm room. But why the hell did that have to happen to me? Why did it have to happen to me among all of those students and people? It was very suffocating. I felt like I needed to put a stop to it. But put a stop to what? And how? I couldn't do anything about it except wait.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait more.

I hated this torture. I wished I could prove that I'm innocent, but I didn't know how. I wish I could just-

"Earth to Nathan!"

I blinked and turned around to stare at the person who interrupted my chain of thoughts. More like glare at them. It happened to be none other than Dave, of course.

"What?" I mumbled, and stared out of the car window. I and Dave were sitting in the back seat of my father's car. My parents wanted to invite me and my friends to a small dinner at their home for Christmas. That's why they wanted to drive me and Dave back home, so that they tell Rachel and Jessie about the dinner.

"I've been calling your name for about a hundred tim!" Dave whisper-yelled. As if his words will ruin my parent's lovey-dovey mood.

Yep. My father had put some romantic 90s music on, which I didn't know, and didn't even get the lyrics. My mother was resting her head on my father's shoulder. They were both singing together with the singer, and doing these silly expressions while staring at each other.

Yikes.

"How can they still love each other so much?" Dave muttered. He was staring at me with a smirk of his own, as if expecting my answer already.

"It's either because it's love of the twentieth century, or it's just addiction." I shrugged. Dave's smirked disappeared and he sighed.

"How can you say that?" He said. With a little frown.

"I don't think I've said anything wrong," I replied and rolled my eyes. "I just said the truth."

Mom and dad were still singing together, so they could hardly hear us over the loud music and their own voice singing.

"I know you haven't forgotten about -"

"Don't mention her name!" I exclaimed, and looked over my parents. Thankfully they couldn't hear my somehow angry tone.

"Sorry..." Dave mumbled. His index finger twitched, like it always does when he regrets something or is very anxious about something.

"It's alright." I mumbled back. And swallowing the lump in my throat.

No. I won't let my mind go there. I can't let that happen, I did a great job forgetting about everything that happened. And I'll keep doing so. I was in enough torture and sorrow that will last all these coming years, I didn't need to remember it all the now.

"But my point is," Dave said slowly, as if waiting for something, possibly to check my reaction "Love is true you know, you don't have the right to prevent other people from loving and showing their affection, just because you don't have love." I frowned and stared at Dave. He was looking into my eyes anxiously, he knew me too well to know he has hit a nerve. He knows I don't believe in love, but we have never had this kind of an argument.

What could be the reason to this? I had no idea. I knew Dave preferred to be single over having a nagging girlfriend, who could waste our time. I also knew his feelings towards love was neutral, he's okay if he had a girlfriend or a lover or not. His reactions to what I said seemed very suspicious to me.

"What the hell is your problem, dude?" I asked.

"I have no problem, I'm just telling you to let your parents have the time of time of their life. I wish mine were like yours." He said calmly, and looked away as he said the last part. I felt guilty instantly. So I reached out my right hand and patted his left shoulder.

"I'm sorry for overreacting" I said, smiling sadly at him.

"It's alright," he replied and smiled back, his smile reaching his eyes. He stared at my parents then stared back at me. "Still nothing?" I felt the familiar pain in my chest again and shook my head. I was distracting myself by counting the trees on our way, the entire ride to Jessie's apartment. We finally arrived at Jessie's apartment. Which had happened to be my staying place for the last few weeks.

Thankfully I had the spare keys with me and unlocked the door. I stepped inside, Dave and my parents followed me in. The scene inside made me freeze in my place. Rachel and Jessie both had fallen asleep on the sofa. Rachel had fallen asleep on her butt, which made me smile to myself. Jessie on the other hand, looked like she was in deep sleep.

Her head was on Rachel's lap, they were both sleeping so peacefully that none of us could wake them up. My parents left soon, leaving me and Dave alone with the girls. I motioned for Dave to follow me, he nodded and followed me to Jessie's bed room. I grabbed the blanket on her bed and gave it to Dave.

"Shouldn't we just carry them to their rooms?" He offered.

"I honestly don't want to wake them up." I said and walked out of Jessie's room to Rachel's.

I grabbed Rachel's blanket too, then we both tip toed back to the guest room where the girls were sleeping. I put Rachel's blanket around her, while Dave covered Jessie.

Then Dave followed me to my room and we played some video games together until Rachel woke up.