17. Jessie

Jessie

Today was Nathan's birthday, and his parents worked very hard for the party they were throwing for him. Even Rachel bought him suit with her own money which she had collected for other things she had wanted to buy for herself. She bought us both dresses too, at first I was against the idea. I didn't think expensive dresses were needed to look pretty. It was just a party after all (well according to me). But my friend insisted, so here I was wearing my new dress.

I won't complain and say this was out of my comfort zone. Because I do care about fashion. It was black and knee length, which meant I could sit comfortably. Also it was formal, which is what I needed for this party, since the Evans like formal clothes and parties very much. Rachel was an expert in in picking clothes, she was even better than Emma. And I happen to have learnt something from both of them. I put on some light makeup, and curled the ends of my hair. I stared at myself one more time in the mirror and smiled. This is the look I had wanted. Simple and formal. Just when I was about to put on some Miss Dior perfume on my neck, I heard someone calling me.

"Jessie?"

I stopped in my tracks, and looked around in search for the sound. But there was no one in my room, and that voice belonged to Sam. I frowned. Well he's not here, was it Rachel calling me?

I put the perfume on my neck, put my favorite necklace on, and grabbed my black purse, which had my phone and some money in it. I was about to walk out of my room, when I suddenly realized I have forgotten Nathan's present, and went back for it.

"Rachel?" I called, and put my not so high heels on, since I was used to trainers more than heels, but they still looked feminine and cute with my dress.

"Yeah?" She replied, and walked out of her room just as I was about to go in.

"These stupid earrings!" She exclaimed, I gasped when I saw her. She had a pink dress on which was very beautiful, unlike me she had straightened her hair. And she was pouting as she was struggling to put her earrings on, her purse in her other hand.

"You look pretty." I beamed at her.

"Thank you. You look better girl, have you looked at yourself in the mirror?" She grinned.

"Did you call my name?" I asked her.

"Nope." She said popping the p in the end.

"Weird... I imagined Sam calling my name." I mumbled.

"It's the aftereffects of being rejected..." She muttered. "So, don't worry."

I bit my lip, and didn't respond. We took a cab and went to Annabelle's Event Hall where the party was taking place. On the way, I remembered Sam, and Emma's hidden relationship. And I remembered that both of us ,me and Emma, lied about our feelings, who wouldn't have a crush on a guy like Sam anyways?

"You invited Emma as I told you, right?" I asked Rachel. She rolled her eyes and sighed. I was taking it better than her. I didn't know why she was angrier than me, It looked like it had happened to her and not me. I was angry too, but Emma was in the same condition as me, maybe she was just not ready to tell us, maybe she hated him first, but when she got to know him and they were into one another, she felt embarrassed to tell me and Rachel the truth. Those were all good enough possibilities, so there was no need to make a big deal out of it.

"Yeah. I did. I still can't believe you are being kind to her, after what happened." She muttered.

"She's our best friend." I said. I felt Rachel's eyes on me, then she looked away without saying anything. We were soon there, me and Rachel hurriedly went inside, we didn't want to be late. I didn't even have time to admire the view, but I knew it's gorgeous. Rachel greeted some people around our age whom I haven't met before, so I was just standing there awkwardly listening to them, and pretending to be enjoying the conversation.