26. Nathan

Nathan

After the desert was finished, my father (as expected) hurriedly took me, Rachel and my friends to his library. To show us his collection of books, mostly his collection of history books. I was completely embarrassed by my dad's behavior. But thankfully Jessie and Dave pretended they enjoy looking at my dad's history books.

I knew Jessie did. But I was not quite sure about Dave.

"And this, guys, is none other than The Diary Of Anne Frank." My father said, grinning while patting the book gently, like a pet.

"Ohhhhh. Mr. Evan, can you lend it to me for a few days please?" Jessie asked, "I've heard so much about that book, but never got the chance to read it" My father smiled proudly, he seemed happy that he has been able to read that book for the hundredth time, but Jessie, even though she was a great reader, has not been able to read this book. This made my father very proud of himself. And it made me smile.

"Of course!" My father exclaimed and handed over his copy of The Diary Of Anne Frank to Jessie. Who happily thanked my dad and accepted the book.

After my father was finished showing us around his library, we noticed it was quite late, so we needed to go back home. We bid goodbye. And Rachel, being unusually quiet and sensitive, drove us to Jessie's apartment. Which happened to become Dave's staying place for the night too. Jessie, being the kind girl she is, didn't mind that we all were staying at her place. She was actually a little happy that her apartment was crowded for the night.

That's her saying, not mine.

"Your parents are very fun." Dave grinned, and threw himself on my bed.

"Yeah, I guess." I said and unbuttoned my shirt. We were finally home, since there wasn't any extra room left for Dave to stay. He was sleeping in my room tonight. I changed, and lay beside Dave on my bed.

We were both staring at the ceiling. Both quiet and thinking.

I don't know about Dave, but I was thinking of everything happening in my life. From University, to my parents and Rachel. Of course I was mostly thinking about University, and Dr. Harper not calling me. I was freaking out about it.

Suddenly someone was knocking at the door, interrupting my chain of thoughts. I turned and stared at Dave, who was fast asleep. I got up groggily to the door, and opened it. To my surprise, Rachel was standing there, she looked terrible. Her red hair was messy, there were bags under her eyes, her face was pale and her lips have gotten dry.

"What's the matter, Rachel?" I asked, worried about my sister's current condition. Many negative thoughts were crossing my mind, but most of all, I wondered if she was in trouble or had any problems with anyone.

"Can we talk?" She mumbled. Licking her lips.

"Sure," I said, my eyes widening, and my heart beating furiously against my chest, from worry.

"Not here." She said and looked around, as if she didn't want anyone to see her with me, or to see her talking to me.

"Oh. Alright." I said. I got out of my room and closed the door. I followed Rachel to her room, and we both sat down on her bed. I waited for Rachel to talk. But she was silent, she was sitting there, not talking at all and was thinking. It was like I wasn't with her at all.

"What's wrong?" I asked. Not being able to wait any longer. Whatever was troubling Rachel, I needed to find out soon.

Rachel turned slowly to look at me, her eyes were full of tears, making my heart hurt.

"It's... I don't know how to say it or explain it." she muttered as single tear drop fell down on her right cheek.

I sighed and held her face with both of my hands "You know you can tell me anything, right?" Rachel nodded, as more tears poured down her face. Making her look vulnerable and so unlike herself.

"I was thinking... a lot... About what to do about it." Rachel said, her voice shaking, but thankfully she didn't shed any more tears.

"About what?" I asked impatiently. I will kill anyone who has hurt her. I told myself.

"About Jessie..." Rachel mumbled. I frowned in confusion. Jessie? What about her? "She is hurting a lot, she doesn't show it, but she's hurting, Nathan."

"Time will heal her, don't worry." I mumbled. Not knowing what to say to her, to make her feel better. Because honestly Jessie was too weak to be healed fast. She needed lots of time.

"No." Rachel shook her head, "I know Jessie. She's... very sensitive. She's self-conscious now, you know, when one feels self-conscious, their feelings affect every aspect of their life, not just their love life."

"True." I said, nodding my head, "but I don't understand why you're thinking of that, it's Jessie's choice, to let it destroy her or not."

"She's my best friend, Nathan. Of course I'll think about her, and worry about her." Rachel said, glaring at me.

"Alright," I mumbled, and bit my lower lip.

"I... have actually come up with a decision." She said, staring into my eyes, waiting for my reaction or something.

"What... decision?" I asked. Frowning, and totally confused. Rachel sighed and kept staring at me.

"You have to be her fake boyfriend."