64. Nathan

Nathan

Everything was finally very clear to me. I didn't have to hesitate or think twice about this matter, all I had to do was take action, and I had to take action soon. That's why I didn't waste a second when I and Jessie arrived at the wood house.

Both Dave and Rachel were equally surprised when they saw me and Jessie walking inside the house holding hands. Dave being the kind and understanding person he was, looked away and continued doing what he was doing, Rachel on the other hand seemed like she would pass out any minute, her jaw was literally on the floor, as she was staring at our intertwined fingers and then at us. If it had been any other day I might have stared at Jessie apologetically and let go of her hand, but quite the contrary: I held her hand tighter as I greeted my best friends, ignoring their questioning looks.

"Hey guys!" Jessie said enthusiastically, grinning from ear to ear.

"Hey Jessie!" Dave said with a warm smile.

"Somebody's happy!" Rachel concluded as she stared at both of us, from me to Jessie, back to me, and back to Jessie.

"Well... it's such a nice day, isn't it?" Jessie said, her smile radiating as she stared at me.

"It is." I agreed, not being able to stop myself from smiling back at her warmly.

"Come and paint, lovebirds. It's your turn." Dave said and handed Jessie his roller brush. Jessie let go of my hand unwillingly, making me chuckle and started painting the spot Dave was just painting.

"Dave is right, it's your turn." Rachel said, handing me her brush. Umm... Okay since when Dave and Rachel agree on the same things anyways? They both said something about getting some fresh air and walked out of the house. Jessie was already painting without wasting a second, I put my arms around her waist and hugged her from the back. We stayed like that for a few minutes, in silence. Jessie painting the wall with one hand with difficulty since she's holding the huge roller brush with one hand and while her other hand was on my hands squeezing them tightly.

Her hands were shaking as she was painting, making the wall look not so smooth. But I didn't give a damn about that wall right now, all I cared about at that precise moment was to hold Jessie close to me, feel her close to me. Her beautiful dark hair was smelling of strawberries and roses, she had a small smile playing on her lips.

I kissed her cheek gently and walked out of the house in search for Dave and Rachel. It didn't take much time to find them, they were sitting under a tree laughing. I ignored my protective side about Rach, telling myself Dave is the best guy Rachel could find. Well... I can't say that Rachel is the best girl my best friend can ever date, but ayways. I walked towards them and sat under the tree also.

"What are you doing here Nathan?" Rachel asked, frowning. "It's your turn, we're honestly tired. Plus... don't leave Jessie alone, she'll panick."

"I wanted to talk to you." I said. Dave was about to get up but I grabbed his arm and shook my head "you need to know too." He sighed and sat down in his previous seat.

"Is something wrong?" Rachel asked, worried and confused.

I smiled and shook my head 'no'. "It's quite the opposite actually, something really good has happened to me."

"What do you mean?" Dave asked, frowning.

"I don't know how you guys will react to this, but I'm gonna say it anyways," I said and took a deep breath. "I'm in love with Jessie."

Dave murmured something which sounded like 'I knew it' while fist bumping the air, as Rachel blinked several times before giggling like a maniac.

"When did this happen" She asked, I smiled expecting these kind of questions.

"I have no idea..." I mumbled, "I just know I ended up falling for Jessie. And... she means the world to me now."

"So... what about trying to make her happy by being her fake boyfriend?" Dave asked.

"It's over. We're real now." I said and sighed. God that feels so good to say, I thought.

"You mean you won't break up with her after one more month?" Rachel asked.

"No." I replied.

"I'm so happy you got to fall in love with Jessie, she's the right girl for you," Dave concluded. "And congratulations, now you've got a girlfriend!"

"Thank you Dave." I said as we hugged and hit each other on the back.

"Umm... I don't mean to ruin your good mood, but... don't you think you have to tell her about you lying to her all this time and not really being in love with her from the beginning?" Dave suggested.

I ran my hands through my hair and sighed. "I was about to tell her last night, but she was so happy and carefree, I couldn't say a single word about that subject to her."

"There's no need to tell her Nathan. I know her, she'll get hurt." Rachel said, folding her arms, and biting her lips, thinking.

"She'll be more hurt, if she finds out in another way, it's only right to tell her." Dave said calmly, making me even more confused.

"So you want to hurt her now just in case she won't get hurt in the future? She'll get hurt both ways!" Rachel snapped.

"Well, this was your brilliant idea of making your friend happy for only two fucking months. So you go and find a solution for this." Dave snapped back making Rachel flinch.

"I just wanted my friend to be happy.. " She whispered.

"Well making her happy for only two months is not a great idea." Dave mumbled as they were glaring at each other.

"Rach... I think Dave is right. I need to find a way to tell her." I said and covered my mouth with my fist.

"Oh! You could tell her father, he's understanding and he loves you." Rachel suggested.

"That's a good idea! Her father will be so furious that he let you to even look at his daughter's face!" Dave said sarcastically.

"Then you suggest a good-"

"Guys! Can you please stop?" I hissed. "You're not helping, okay?" Rachel and Dave both looked away from embarrassment and didn't say another word afterwards. I rubbed my forehead from anger and took a deep breath.

"I'll go talk to Mr. King. I won't exactly tell him the truth. I'll just say I have gone to visit him because he wanted to meet me. " I said, "While I'm not here, look after Jessie and don't fight please, okay?"

They both nodded without saying a word, I bid them goodbye and walked inside the wood house to kiss my girl goodbye.