39. Jessie

Jessie

So after Nathan kidnapped me from my own husband in the dark empty church in my dream. I woke up, drenched in sweat, panting, my heart beating furiously against my chest. What the sweet candies was that? I stared at the small clock right beside my bed and frowned. Okay, so it's 4:16 in the morning. I only have three more hours left to go to college. I sighed in relief and went back to sleep. More like; tried to get back to sleep. Because let's be honest, nobody will be able to sleep after someone like Nathaniel Evans kidnaps them, and in their wedding day. It just won't be possible.

I tossed and turned for quite a while but it was no use. I felt like I had eaten hundreds of calories of Nutella and needed to use all of it. That's how much I felt energetic. I was so freaked out about getting enough sleep for my first day of college after the vacations. That I started to meditate in hopes of falling asleep. I want to make one thing clear. I never ever meditate or do yoga, my friends think I do, but I actually don't. The good thing was: it worked, and I finally felt sleepy. The bad thing was: I dreamt of Nathan again.

I took a good look around the place I was in. It kind of seemed familiar. I felt like I had been here before. Or I had probably dreamt of such a place? I was not sure. But the fresh air and the sweet aroma of the flowers were kind of relaxing. Of course it was only relaxing until I saw a familiar figure, I gasped when I saw his appearance, his eyes were bloodshot red, his lips were curved up in a devil smile, a very scary smile. He didn't look like the Nathan I knew at all. Just when I opened my mouth to talk, Nathan disappeared from my sight, leaving a few rose petals in his place, like some kind of wizard. I stared up at the full moon and grinned, star gazing and watching the beautiful moon is one of my favorite things to do. Oh. I'm sure it was daytime, how come it's night so fast? I thought.

"My dear child." I immediately turned to the voice's source, I smiled and relaxed a little bit more. It was another dream about Miss Angel.

"Miss Angel!" I called her enthusiastically and ran towards her until I was only a few inches away from her. Her beautiful green eyes were twinkling as she was smiling at me warmly. She was wearing a long white dress, which looked like a wedding dress.

If Rachel was here she'd probably scowl and tell Miss Angel that a green dress will look much better on her, since it will match the color of her eyes.

"How are you doing?" Miss Angel asked.

"I'm perfect." I said truthfully, feeling my cheeks warm up a little bit. Oh, boy. Did I have to think of Nathan while I was in... heaven? Well judging by the atmosphere of where Miss Angel was living, I'm pretty sure it was heaven. I couldn't believe Nathan was my boyfriend. He said it himself, he said he's my boyfriend.

Ohhhh lord..... I have a boyfriend.

I have a boyfriend.

I have a boyfriend. I have a boyfriend. I have a-

"That's great, my pretty child." Miss Angel said as her smile widened, then one of her eyebrows was raised, "You've met a guy, my child?" My throat immediately got dry, but since it was very comfortable to talk to Miss Angel (who happened to be the creation of my subconscious mind for my dreams) the other time. I guessed it was only right to talk with her about Nathan.

"Umm... yeah." I said, and suddenly feeling like doing a happy dance right in the virtual heaven in my dreams, when I remembered I did have a boyfriend. But then I decided against it, in case God put me in hell because of it.

"Oh. He must be a lucky guy." Miss Angel beamed.

"I feel luckier to have a boyfriend like him." I admitted and grinned at her.

"Hmm... are you happy because you have a boyfriend? Or is it because Nathan is yours?" She asked, her perfect eyebrow raised again expectantly.

I frowned. Is there a difference between those things? I thought to myself. I thought they're related. I thought having a boyfriend and Nathan being my boyfriend was the same. I wanted to have love and a relationship. I just didn't expect him to be my boyfriend. I mean, having Nathan as my boyfriend was a bonus. He's in love with me. Isn't that enough? He told me himself, that guys should do the first step. I mean I knew I didn't love him yet, but didn't Nathan say it's enough for a guy to love a girl?

"Looks like you don't know the answer," Miss Angel's voice snapped me back to reality, "that's alright. I won't push you. Just be careful. For a love story to have a happy ending, both people need to be in love. One sided love is the worst type of pain. It's nearly impossible to endure." Miss Angel seemed like she wasn't talking to me anymore as she talked about love. It was when she looked rather sad, and was frowning and pouting that I realized I was the stupidest creature on the whole planet. How had I not noticed?!

"Mom?!" I said. My voice shaky and my heart's pace increasing. Miss Angel turned to look at me slowly, then her frown turned into a sad smile. She had green eyes, and hair like mine, I have a small picture of her on a necklace for god's sake. She was calling me my child all the while. Except... it was a dream and she was not real.

"Yes, sweetheart. Took you long enough." She replied. I grinned from ear to ear feeling rather happy to have a dream about my mother. I was only seven when she read me books. That's actually one the few memories I have about her.

"I'm so happy to meet you, even if it's just a dream." I said. Miss Angel- I mean, my mother smiled sadly as she said, "Yeah."

"What happened though?" I heard myself ask before I stop myself. I mean, it's not like she could actually answer me. It's not like this was really heaven.

"What do you mean Jess?" My mother said.

"I-I mean... why are you.. here?" I blurted out. And pointed to our surroundings, in hopes that she understands that I was asking her about her death. Then I stared at my mother expectantly, hoping my mother could answer the questions my father could never answer. Her smile dropped, her lips pressed into a thin line. She took a deep breath as she stared right into my eyes before uttering the next words.

"Your father haven't told you?" My mother asked. I shook my head in no, and waited for her to tell me the thing I was curious about the most.

"I made a terrible mistake." She said. I frowned as I took in her expression. She seemed... weak. What's she talking about?

"What mistake?" I asked. Feeling my heart beat a million times more than normal from excitement.

"You see, I-"

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

I groaned in frustration as I reached out for my stupid alarm clock, did it really have to wake me up at such a time? ughhh. I got out of bed groggily. After taking a shower, having breakfast with Rachel (and secretly checking out my boyfriend out of the corner of my eyes as the poor guy was having cereal), I went to college. However I was not able to focus because I couldn't stop thinking about the dream about my mother. I knew it was just a stupid dream. But I couldn't help but wonder what Miss Angel (I had decided this was a better name for my mother who was in my dream) wanted to say.