27. Jessie

Jessie

Nathan and Rachel were unusually quiet in the morning. Nathan was chewing his pancake very slowly, as if disgusted by it. But I tasted the pancakes many times and it tasted alright, I guess. Rachel, on the other hand, was playing with the fork in her hand, her eyes, fixed on the untouched pancake in front of her, unblinking and narrowed. The siblings didn't utter a word, they were both avoiding each other's gaze, though they were sitting beside each other. I stared at Rachel, then at Nathan. Trying to figure out what the problem was between them. Dave seemed like he had noticed the thick tension between these two, because he kept trying to make a conversation, but all of his attempts failed.

"Jessie?"

"Yeah," I said. And stared at the three of them, who were staring back at me, all of them looking confused.

"Did... You guys call my name?" I mumbled, wondering if I misheard again.

Nathan and Rachel shook their heads and looked away from me to continue what they were doing or thinking of before I interrupted them. I frowned and stared at Dave, who shook his head too. Smiling sheepishly. Weird. I shrugged and continued eating my breakfast. However, someone was knocking on the door hard. Scaring the shit out of me. I almost choked on the tea I was sipping on and got up to get it. I ran to open the door, which I swear was about to break by whoever was knocking on the door this hard. I slowly and cautiously opened up the door, I gasped when I saw who it was. She was glaring at me, fuming, eyes red, and lips twitching from anger.

"Where's Rachel?" Emma snapped and walked past me, her shoulders hitting mine hard, nearly making me fall hard on the ground. But I thankfully got back my balance and followed her quickly.

"Rachel?!" Emma kept calling my friend's name at the top of her lungs.

I followed Emma's voice nervously, which came from the living room right beside the kitchen. I hurriedly walked to the kitchen, to find Rachel wide eyed, furious, and standing up when she saw Emma in our apartment. Dave's eyes were wide too and his jaw nearly hit the ground. Nathan looked very bored and unaffected by Emma's presence in our home though.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Rachel hissed, fuming and gritting her teeth from anger.

"Did you speak to Samuel?" Emma said, in a calmer voice, ignoring Rachel's question. Rachel rolled her eyes, and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Why the hell should I speak to your boyfriend?" Rachel asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Did you, or didn't you?" Emma asked, in a warning voice.

"So?" Rachel said, totally enjoying Emma's annoyance.

"I said, Have. You. Talked. To. Him?!" Emma yelled, making me flinch. And making Nathan glare at her, but still looking unaffected. And without any reaction. Or so I thought.

"No!" Rachel yelled back, "I haven't, are you happy now?"

Emma's breathing was shaky, as she stared at Rachel. Her eyes were on me then, making me take a step back and swallow the lump in my throat. I had never seen Emma stare at me like that, well... I had never seen Emma stare at anyone like that. Eyes full of hatred and rage, that reaction was something Rachel had for nearly everyone except her own friends, but not Emma.

Not the sweet, innocent, and kind Emma.

"You!" Emma hissed. And she walked dangerously close to me, so that there were only a few inches of space between us.

"It's your entire fault." Emma snapped, "You talked Samuel into breaking up with me!"

"I-I..." I swallowed, not being able to form even a single word. My legs were frozen in place. Unable to move anymore, my vision got blurry. I wasn't scared of Emma, no. I was merely shocked. I had never seen this side of her, the true side of her.

"Don't you dare, play dumb with me!" she hissed and raised her right hand high, it took me a few seconds to understand what was happening, my eyes widened, unable to think of anything else to do, I just closed my eyes and waited for the familiar sting on my cheek.

But it never came. I slowly opened one eye to know what was happening, Nathan was holding Emma's raised arm tightly, and they were both throwing at daggers at each other.

"You have hit her enough." Nathan said calmly, still glaring at her.

"This is none of your business." Emma said, in a surprisingly calmer voice. I have always thought Nathan was intimidating, I always got affected by whatever he was saying or doing. Maybe Emma thought the same.

"This is entirely my business," Nathan hissed, loosening his hold of her arm, "Rachel is my sister, and Jessie is my friend of more than fifteen years. Who the hell are you to tell me it's not my business?"

"You don't know anything," Emma said, and pointed her finger at me "this girl-"

"Jessie has not done anything wrong, you're in her apartment. You should at least respect her."

"But Samuel-"

"You need talk to Sam about your relationship problems, not Rachel and Jessie. After all, Samuel is your boyfriend, not Rachel or Jessie-"

"You-"

"-and if I see you again, bothering any of them, in any way, you'll pay for it. Now, get out." Emma's eyes widened from fear, since Nathan said what he said, in the most intimidating voice. And he looked quite intimidating too.

"Get. Out." Nathan repeated his last words and pointed a finger to where the door was. Emma looked very embarrassed as she slowly walked out of the kitchen, glaring at me one more time. We heard the main door slam shut, meaning Emma was out in the hallway, and out of my apartment. My feet were feeling numb, I couldn't feel them anymore, and I couldn't feel anything anymore. As I fell on the hard ground, sobbing. Rachel, and Dave both sat beside me and were both whispering to me, or to each other, I don't know. Nathan on the other hand, was just standing there, frowning.

The three of them seemed like they were talking to each other, but I wasn't aware of anything, except the question I kept asking myself.

"Why?" I sobbed harder, as I remembered the humiliation in Nathan's birthday party.

"Why, Emma?" I kept saying those two words over and over again. Rachel was hugging me tight and she rubbing my back gently.