36. Nathan

Nathan

I parked my car somewhere near the beach. I actually wanted to sell my car, and buy a jeep or something, because it draws too much attention. Which I don't like. But I postponed selling it to next week, because I wanted Jessie to feel special for her first date. And it worked, she had a smile on her face the whole ride to the beach, as she was looking around the car, looking at me from the corner of her eyes and looking out of the window to figure out where we're going. I got out of the car and walked to the passenger's seat. Where Jessie was waiting patiently for me to open the car door for her. Making me chuckle. She quickly adjusted her dress and looked at the ground.

"Let's go." I said. And walked to the empty and cold beach, with Jessie following me behind. The sun was already about to set. Giving an orange-red color to the sky and the sea in front of us. The weather was surprisingly not that cold, despite the light wind. Right on the beach, there was a table and dinner ready for two people. Just like how I had planned. I sighed from relief and stared at Jessie whose jaw was dropped to the ground, her cheeks were crimson red again. And she was slowly walking towards the table, staring at everything on it, staring at the orange clouds and the orange sea. I pulled out the chair, she mumbled a thank you and sat down. We soon begun eating the food which was somehow cold, but Jessie's smile was still present on her face.

Rachel was right I guess. I have never seen Jessie this happy since I got back from Florida.

I smiled to myself. At least I was the one who was making her happy and not that Harry dude. I mentally shuddered at the thought of Harry making Jessie happy. Giving her flowers, opening the door for her like a gentleman, kissing her. Then at last breaking her heart. No! I wouldn't allow that. I told myself. We ate dinner in silence. It wasn't quite dark when we finished. The silence was very comfortable for me, because I didn't want to be forced into lying again. I'm not good at lying and I don't want to lie to anyone, especially not a person like Jessie.

"Nathan?" Jessie said, breaking the silence.

"Yes, Jessie." I answered, pouring champagne for the both us.

"Thanks." She mumbled. As I handed her, her glass "Why me?"

I frowned and put down the glass of champagne I just sipped on "What do you mean?"

"I mean... Why did you choose me? Why did you fall in love with me?" She asked, her eyes twinkling as she was staring at me expectantly.

"Umm... Well it's..." I swallowed the lump in my throat. Great. I had to lie again. "You're my friend..."

"Oh... Just that?" She asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"No! Not just that." I said quickly, feeling Jessie relax a little bit "You're a kind hearted girl, you're smart, funny, thoughtful and we've known each other more than half of our lives, I think it's only right to think of dating each other."

"Oh!" Jessie said with a smile on her face "I thought... You think like Rachel."

"What does Rachel think of?" I said as I sipped on the champagne, the sweet yet sour taste stimulating my taste buds, making me feel relaxed.

"Well, she thinks love happens for no apparent reason." Jessie said, I noticed she was relaxed too and she was talking without any stuttering or hesitation.

"What?" I said in surprise. That's an unexpected thing for anyone to say, and especially when that person is Rachel.

"Rachel always tells me love does not have any boundaries," Jessie continued "it does not have reasons, or causes, or rules. It's just... love you know."

"I see. But you can't love a person who's a murderer, can you?" I asked. Hell. Love doesn't exist at all. No one is capable of love, that's it, period. I added to myself

"Well... I think it depends." She said with a frown.

"On?" I urged her to continue. Asking questions is always easier than answering them.

"On... how much you know the murderer." She shrugged. As if I was already expected to know the answer.

"So, your point is, the murderer deserves love too?" I asked, not believing what was coming out of her mouth. How can a murderer deserve love?

"Yes. Of course," Jessie answered "everybody deserves love."

"Even a murderer?" I asked.

"Even a murderer." Jessie answered firmly "Since we don't know what he has been through, maybe he has been wrongly accused of murder, maybe he accidentally pulled the trigger and didn't mean to kill anyone, maybe he only tried to protect himself." I swallowed the lump in my throat and tried not think of Dr. Harper and what's happening in Florida.

Then I stared at Jessie, who was smiling to herself, thinking she had won the argument. This girl is definitely full of surprises. I thought I knew her, but I guess I didn't.