65. Jessie

Jessie

"What are all these kisses for?" I exclaimed as Nathan leaned in for another peck on my lips.

"I don't know when I'll be able to see you again, Jess." Nathan answered as he leaned in yet for another kiss, making me giggle.

"It's not like you won't come back, stop showering me in kisses." I said and put my arms around his neck, and tried to balance my weight on my toes as I kissed him back.

"I know... But I gave you a kiss for each hour I won't be here to kiss you." Nathan whispered against my lips and kissed me one more time.

"Take care, okay?" I said with pleading eyes, making Nathan chuckle. He's being doing that a lot lately.

"I'll take care Jess, don't worry. I don't think your father will kill me, so I'm safe." He joked, making me laugh. Then he gave me a peck on my forehead and caressed my cheek before walking out of the room. Leaving me smiling to myself like a fool. The smell of the white paint was so strong, that it almost made me dizzy. I ignored the annoying smell and continued painting anyway. Trying my best not to think of the smell of Nathan's cologne or how he was staring at me with his beautiful brown eyes. Also trying not to smile so much, in case getting an overdose of smiling might kill me.

Just saying.

I gasped from surprise as my phone vibrated in my pocket, I got it out and looked at the screen to see that I've actually gotten a text message.

'Hey cupcake! Do you know who this guy is? Has your father told you anything about him? H xxx'

I frowned in confusion. Who the heck is H?

Then I thought of all the possible names starting with the letter 'H': Harriet, Holly, Henry, Hermione, Hunter, Hannah, Harry, H- Harry?

I read the message once again and bit my lips. Doesn't look like Harry's words at all. They're too serious and boring, except the word 'cupcake', then I looked closer at the message and saw a photograph of a middle aged man, with white-blonde hair, pale skin and the exact features of Harry. So I could only guess one thing; this man is Harry's father. But...why would I know Harry's father anyways? And why would my father mention him? None of us know him except- Oh.

I've seen him somewhere. I'm very sure of that. But where? Why can't I remember?

Then it hit me, I'd seen this man. Not just once or twice, but multiple of times. It was this exact picture on my father's desk the other day. But when I asked him who that person is, he said it's no one and he tore the picture into billions of pieces.

And...and...I've seen him somewhere else too. But where?

I remembered those freckles, and eyes, and white-blonde hair. Maybe a younger version. Maybe I've met Mr. Hiking when I was a child, but why? And where? And how?

Then it hit me like a flashback: It was like a movie was playing right in front of my eyes, there was this image of a seven year old me, hugging my teddy bear close to my chest, as I was sitting in the back seat of my mom's car. A man was there in the passenger seat, that man (Mr. Hiking) was a bad bad man, since he was making mommy cry by yelling at her.

I gasped when I suddenly remembered what they were talking about.

No way.

No way.

It can't be.

That can't have happened.

I held my phone in my shaking hands and ran out of the house, to my best friend. I sighed in relief when I saw Rachel and Dave sitting together under a tree, but I frowned when I noticed they're actually bickering.

I shook my head and walked towards them faster, but stopped in my tracks when I saw Rachel crying. And Dave yelling at her.

"I didn't mean it Rachel, I was just mad that you've matched Nathan with Jessie without them even being aware. You didn't think of the consequences, such as Nathan actually falling in love." Dave hissed, throwing his arms around in exasperation.

"I just wanted... Jessie... to be happy..." Rachel said in between sobs. Dave's expression changed from furious to sad and guilty.

"I know. But sometimes things won't go as you always plan in life," Dave said gently, "If they were really meant for each other, it would have happened eventually."

"So you mean they're not meant for each other?" Rachel asked in disbelief.

"No," Dave shook his head, "that's not what I mean, they could even be meant for each other, but the time and the distance and many other things could really not be in their favor."

"Then that couldn't possibly be love." Rachel declared, wiping her eyes with the sleeves of her jacket.

"True," Dave agreed, "that's why you call someone you like from afar a 'crush' not 'love', they're entirely different."

"But... you know Nathan. He doesn't fall in love easily, especially after Holly cheating on him and telling the entire universe that Nathan was the cheating one." Rachel exclaimed.

Dave sighed and ran his hands through his hair and said: "Nathan could be in love with Jessie for real. But are you really sure about Jessie?"

"I'm definitely sure that Jessie is head over heels in love with Nathan." Rachel snapped, chin high and nostrils fuming.

"I wasn't talking about that," Dave said calmly, "why is it so hard for you to understand? Not everything goes as you plan in life, I like you and want to make you mine, but I can't do that."

Rachel gasped, as she stared at Dave's calm face which was full of love and concern for Rachel, that I wish she saw too.

"Y-you like me?" Rachel asked in shock, this was one of the very rare times that Rachel stutters, and there's a first time for everything.

"A lot." Dave admitted, while staring at Rachel.

"B-but... how? Why?" My crazy best friend asked.

"I don't how, or why, or when, or where either," Dave answered with that same gentle voice, "all I know is that I like you a lot, more than a lot actually. But I can't do anything about it, because you're Nathan's sister, he'll kill me, and it won't be fair to him. I don't want him to think I've been using you behind his back, our friendship means a lot to me. I could like another girl... I guess, but I will never meet another Nathan in my entire life, I have no friends, as you probably already know, except Nathan." Rachel was sobbing again the moment Dave said the first few words.

"I'm so sorry" She said, "I was being very rude to you, everything is my fault."

Dave sighed and pulled Rachel in for a hug, "It's okay, it's not your fault." He kissed the top of her head and rubbed her back as Rachel cried into his chest.

"Everything is my fault, Jessie will be hurt because of me." She moaned into Dave's chest.

"Nathan agreed to that fake relationship by himself, you didn't force him to pretend he's in love with Jessie." Dave mumbled.

"Yeah... he agreed to my idea , because he thought she's desperate and needy and not realistic at all, but he still wanted to make Jessie happy despite being annoyed by her. But he finally-"

Crack!

I looked down at my broken phone, and up at my friends. Who stared at me wide eyed. Rachel walked towards me, her eyes wide.

"Jess. It's not like that. Let us explain please." Rachel said, her voice weak and sad, and those were the last words I heard before my vision got blurry and I fell on the hard cold ground.