24. Nathan

Nathan

"How's Jessie?" Dave asked Rachel. She sighed and bit her lower lip. Dave swallowed and looked away from her.

"She's alright..." Rachel said, her voice trailing off. Then she frowned "she sounds a bit down though."

"Of course she feels down. Imagine you're in her place" Dave muttered.

"Yeah... I guess." Rachel replied, and checked her watch.

The dinner was today. And we were all invited to my parents' house. Jessie was taking her time to get ready, we were waiting for her in the guest room patiently. We finally heard footsteps, it seemed like she was wearing heels. That meant Jessie was finally ready.

I looked away from my sister, who was glaring at Dave, for god knows what. My eyes fell on Jessie. Who was still in her pajamas. Wearing heels with it.

"Jessie?" Rachel said, her cheeks red, as if she's embarrassed of her best friend's appearance. Because honestly she looked weird. "Aren't you coming?" Rachel asked. Her brows furrowing. And her cheeks reddening even more.

"I'm coming of course." Jessie replied, smiling.

"But... you're wearing pajamas." her best friend said, pointing at Jessie in confusion.

Jessie frowned. Her eyes were showing that she was hurt from what Rachel just told her.

"I'm not wearing pajamas." Jessie mumbled, without staring at her clothes.

"Jessie... you're wearing pajamas. Go change quickly please," Rachel said in a bored voice, "we're already late."

Jessie then stared at the clothes she was wearing, and frowned. She looked like she was confused, then her eyes suddenly widened and she blushed crimson red.

"Yeah..." She mumbled, "Sorry I thought I have changed, I will go and put something on."

"Be quick please." Rachel said. Sounding sorry for her friend.

"Alright." Jessie said and ran to her room.

"Poor girl," Dave mumbled, "I think she's very affected by yesterday's incident, she wasn't even aware that she was in her pajamas."

"I know right." I said, and sighed. Feeling sorry for what Jessie has gone through.

"Don't call her poor Dave!" Rachel exclaimed "and don't you ever pity her guys, Jessie hates it when people pity her."

"Yeah... Yeah..." I mumbled after a snort, "she doesn't like being pitied, but she is desperate for love."

"Nathan!" Rachel hissed.

"Sorry... But that's the truth." I said holding my hands up in defense.

"I don't want to argue with you, I'll go help Jessie." She said and left Dave and me in the guest room.

Jessie was finally ready, and we were on our way to my parent's house. I wasn't ready to use my new car, worried it would get scratches or anything like that. So we were in Rachel's Nissan Altima. My mom engulfed each of us in the tight hug that she does when she loves someone truly. And she definitely likes Dave and Jessie.

My father on the other hand, seemed super happy, maybe because he thought he can show his collection of history books to them. No matter how much me and Rachel tell him that young people nowadays don't read history that much, but he won't listen to us, and he just keeps showing our friends his books.

"Welcome my dears." My mother chirped, and motioned for us to go to the dining room. Where she had already put many different and colorful dishes of food on it. I didn't even know some of their names, neither tasted some others for that matter.

"How's your mother, Dave?" Mom asked, her eyes full of affection and love for the Dave's mom. A woman she has met only once, but they had their own kind of bond with each other, my mother felt sorry for the woman, and what she has gone through.

"She's fine, thank you." Dave answered, with a polite smile on his face.

"Wonderful!" My mother exclaimed. "How's university guys?"

"It's great!" Dave said quickly. His voice sounding weird to my ears.

I pressed my lips into a thin line and dig my fork into the plate of pasta in front of me. I wanted to wait until they finished talking about that subject. Thankfully my mom didn't mention university or anything else related to it.

"Rachel, sweetheart. Do you still force your brother to do your reports?" My mother asked.

Rachel didn't answer. I looked up and stared at my sister, she was playing with the spoon in her hand. The mushroom soup in front of her was left untouched. She seemed like she was in deep thought.

"Rachel?" Mom called her name again. Jessie who was sitting beside my sister elbowed her hard.

"Ouch!" Rachel moaned from pain and glared at Jessie, who smiled sheepishly and shrugged her shoulders. Speaking of Jessie, she was unusually quiet.

"I was talking to you, darling," Mom said and stared at Rachel suspiciously. "Are you alright? You don't look very good"

"Yeah, I'm alright." Rachel mumbled, and smiled at mom.

"I was saying, why don't you do your reports by yourself?"

"I will do them myself from now on, don't worry."

"You will?"

"Yeah..."

Dinner was finished and it was time for the desert to come, but Rachel ate very little and she glanced at Jessie every now and then. There was definitely something wrong with her. I guess I had to ask her when we get back home.