56. Nathan

Nathan

Since we had had enough work for the day we were resting and drinking coffee together. I was very tired that I could hardly open my eyes. My headache had gotten worse, I even had runny nose and all my body was aching. I was shivering and wanted to just crawl into bed and sleep forever.

"I told you to take care Nathan." Rachel said for the thousandth time and pouted.

"I'm alright, I mumbled and closed my eyes."

"No, you're not. Look at you! You look like you're about to die dude!" Dave said.

"Thanks a lot for those positive words dude!" I said sarcastically and took a deep breath, my runny nose was making it hard for me to breath.

"Let me check" Jessie said, put her small cold hand on my forehead, and gasped. "Nathan, you're burning!"

"I thought so," Rachel said as she too put her palm on my forehead after Jessie took her hands away gently.

"Stop it already, I'm fine," I mumbled, the truth was: I was not fine at all, I was shivering from cold and all my body was hurting from head to toe.

"You need rest Nathan." Jessie said.

"She's damn right bro. You need some good rest." Dave said. 

"Why don't you go to bed?" Rachel suggested.

I groggily walked to where the bed was and just jumped right into it. Rachel, Jessie and Dave were talking but all I heard was my name being spoken several times.

"......he needs to stay...."

"..... someone must....."

".... Nathan is...."

"Nathan?" Someone called my name, I opened one eye and tried to glare at whoever was disrupting my glorious sleeping.

"Hmm.." I moaned.

"You need to sleep here, so one of us must stay here with you." Rachel said and smiled.

"Hmm..." I moaned again.

"I think I'm staying-" Dave was saying, but Rachel urgently put her hand over his mouth.

"Jessie doesn't mind staying, right Jessie?" Rachel said, while smiling sweetly at Jessie.

Jessie seemed surprised as she replied "I-"

"Perfect!" Rachel interrupted her friend "Goodnight then!"

She still had her hand over poor Dave's mouth, as he struggled to get away from her and kept moaning.

"Goodnight bro, sleep well!" Dave said when he was finally free of Rachel's hold. I closed my eyes without replying to them and fell into a very deep sleep. When I was right about to fall asleep sleep I think I saw Jessie covering me with a blanket. Despite the fact that I was so tired and ill, I had a very good sleep that night. The sound of birds chirping and singing woke me up the next day, I slowly opened my eyes and yawned.

Well... my body still hurts, but I'm a little better. I thought to myself.  I looked at the side of the bed and was surprised to find Jessie fallen asleep with her head on the bed, sleeping soundly.

I suddenly remembered that Jessie was supposed to stay with me all night. Something which looked like a wet towel dropped from my forehead when I moved, sure enough Jessie had been taking care of me all night.

I sighed and stared at Jessie, her mouth was wide open, a little bit of saliva was dripping down her mouth. I chuckled and reached my hand to her face. I wiped the sweat very slowly from her forehead and rubbed her cheeks with my fingers.

"She was taking care of you all night." Dave's voice caught me by surprise, I moved my hand away from Jessie hastily and looked at the window, where Dave was standing, with a cup of steaming coffee in his hand.

"Good morning." He said, and smiled.

"Good morning." I replied and slowly sat on my bed, careful not to wake up Jessie up. "You stayed all night too?" 

Dave grinned and scratched the back of his neck, "Umm... well despite Rachel's attempt to make you guys snog... I couldn't leave you alone, so I drove back here when Rachel fell asleep."

I smiled and shook my head, "She's going to kill you."

"I know," Dave said sheepishly, "Let's go and paint some more. Don't wake Jessie up by the way, she looks very tired."

"Yeah, I won't." I said as I glanced at the sleeping Jessie once more, "What's the time?"

"It's seven AM." Dave replied. 

I groaned and ran my hands through my hair. "Ahh.. hell. Better not waste any more time."

"Yeah, but first have some breakfast." Dave said. I nodded and we walked into the kitchen together. I had breakfast, and we started painting, of course after me taking a shower and Dave making me get dressed warm and take some Advil forcefully.